USPS slowdown

The county mailed out the ballots on Friday. I got mine today. The mailman looked a little stressed but that has more to do with the 5 pounds of glossy political ads he has to stuff in every mailbox.

Now for the hard part -- there are a few legislative initiatives on the ballot that are convoluted enough that I have to figure out if yes means yes...

Reply to
rbowman

Ah, I love those.

I simplify my life by voting against anything that has "amend the Constitution" in it. Those are invariably for things that should _not_ be in the state Constitution.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

You do realize that on the federal level you support those that do not want supreme court judges that follow the constitution as written.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

This sparked my interest and my ballot is right in front of me.

Question 2 is whether to approve sports and events betting. I voted against the lottery, which won anyhow, and I have no problem voting against this. It says it's for raising revenue for education. They always say that and I think education is highly overrated.

Question 1 is more interesting. Allows the General assembly to increase, diminish, or add items as long as they don't exceed the total proposed budget as submitted by the governor. Huh? Why isn't the assembly writing the budget and telling the governor what he can spend. I've long had the same quesiton about the national government.

So what does it say now? I'm not the first person to ask that. Once I put in Maryland Constitution, suggestions 4 and 6 were the two parts of the constitution that they want to amend. ---- Yes, it says that the governor must submit the budget.

Whether this takes away some of his power by letting them make changes, OR it adds to his power by not letting them exceed the amount he suggested, I don't know yet. And I'm not sure how I feel about either of them. I haven't followed prior budget fights, if any.

Aticle III, section 14: Nothing but boilerplate.

Section 52: SEC. 52. (1) The General Assembly shall not appropriate any money out of the Treasury except in accordance with the provisions of this section

(2) Every appropriation bill shall be either a Budget Bill, or a Supplementary Appropriation Bill, as hereinafter provided.

(3) On the third Wednesday in January in each year, (except in the case of a newly elected Governor, and then not later than ten days after the convening of the General Assembly), unless such time shall be extended by the General Assembly, the Governor shall submit to the General Assembly a Budget for the next ensuing fiscal year. Each Budget shall contain a complete plan of proposed expenditures and estimated revenues for said fiscal year and shall show the estimated surplus or deficit of revenues at the end of the preceding fiscal year. ......lots more

Article II, section 17: SEC. 17. (a) To guard against hasty or partial legislation and encroachment of the Legislative Department upon the co-ordinate Executive and Judicial Departments, every Bill passed by the House of Delegates and the Senate, before it becomes a law, shall be presented to the Governor of the State. If the Governor approves he shall sign it, but if not he shall return it with his objections to the House in which it originated, which House shall enter the objections at large on its Journal and proceed to reconsider the Bill. Each House may adopt by rule a veto calendar procedure that permits Bills that are to be reconsidered to be read and voted upon as a single group. The members of each House shall be afforded reasonable notice of the Bills to be placed on each veto calendar. Upon the objection of a member, any Bill shall be removed from the veto calendar. If, after such reconsideration, three-fifths of the members elected to that House pass the Bill, it shall be sent with the objections to the other House, by which it shall likewise be reconsidered, and if it passes by three-fifths of the members elected to that House it shall become a law. The votes of both Houses shall be determined by yeas and nays, and the names of the persons voting for and against the Bill shall be entered on the Journal of each House respectively.... quite a bit more.

Reply to
micky

Yeah, I'm getting campaign ads for Trump. In Nebraska? What a waste of resources. There has even been campaign stuff for local people. That's odd.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman
<...>

Get a life, loser!

Reply to
Colonel Edmund J. Burke

It is the first possibility:

"Right now the only way to get proposed spending in the governor's budget is for the governor to do it," says Roy Meyers, professor of Political Science and an Affiliate Professor of Public Policy at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County. "And so everybody has to lobby the governor. That's just one person."

Meyers says that a yes vote on Question 1 of the Maryland ballot would put Maryland in line with all 49 other states, in terms of how they handle their state budgets.

"Maryland is the only state where the governor has this power," said Meyers. "If we were to shift toward the method used by the 49 other states, we would join the other states that have AAA bond ratings just like we do."

Huh? What has bond ratings got to do with it, if they have it and so do we?

Reply to
micky

The state might as well approve sport betting. I know around here there are many places that have illegal betting. Easy to bet on most sports.

It might be the ones pushing hard against making betting legal are the ones running the illegal betting operations. Like an a county in NC that did not sell liquor around 1965 or so. It was up for a vote . At a big gethering at a church the preacher introduced a man "that donated thousands of dollars to out worthy cause" . Many in the croud reconised him as one of the biggest boot leger in the county and the preacher could not understand how the crowd left so suddenly.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The post office did it to me again on a small package. I bought an item from China off ebay. The tracking shows it made it to the local post office in my small town. From there it went 40 miles away to a big town, and then back to the local post office where it was then delivered to the house. I know this is the 2nd time they have done that to me.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Not the same issue at all. The Constitution (both state and federal) is the document that defines the relationship between government and citizens. Irrelevant crap like gay marriage (for or against) or Prohibition just doesn't belong in it.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

That's right but the dems want activist judges to bend the rules. Biden is after your husband's guns and a supreme court judge appointed by Biden would do this.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

My wife is waiting for a package and it started shipping with FedEx who took to state USPS who took it to local USPS but has not shown up yet. Doing this means that something that might only take a few days now takes a week.

As for voting, I did absentee over the internet. They emailed me a ballot which I printed filled out and signed. I scanned it and emailed back.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

There are two of those.

"Constitutional Amendments 46 and 47 are simple, clean-up efforts to remove language that was struck down by Montana's courts 15 years ago"

37 and 38 from 2002 were about how signatures are collected and ballot initiatives presented. The US District Court declared them to be unconstitutional so they went back to what they were doing. No reason to rush into things.

I-190 is the pisser. The synopsis is it legalizes marijuana but there are about 30 pages covering taxation, licensing, quality testing, and so forth. Bottom line is they figure it will bring in 48 million by 2025.

CI-118 amends the constitution to include marijuana along with alcohol that are not allowed for 18 year old adults until they are 21. I-190 also makes possession illegal under 21 but would be challenged because it's not included in the rights of adults. Should be CI-CYA.

Reply to
rbowman

We have LR-130 on the ballot that prohibits cities or counties to restrict firearm possession. That's a definite yes.

Reply to
rbowman

After making sure no real mail snuck in I trash the campaign stuff but I don't think I've seen a Trump ad, or a Biden for that matter. The state is going to Trump so there's no reason to spend money.

The governor and a Senator are up so that's been going hot and heavy, along with the AG slot.

Reply to
rbowman

On 10/11/2020 9:55 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote: ...

Only 40 miles? It's 180 here...even if you drop a letter/bill in the box that goes to the PO Box next to yours in the row, it goes to Amarillo and comes back...

The "local" and "out of town" drop boxes are now just "Outgoing", it all gets dumped into one hopper in order to be resorted back into local and out-of-town in Amarillo.

They started all that quite a number of years ago--at least 3-4 by now.

Reply to
dpb

We haven't gotten that fancy. I've voted by mail for years but this year has an advantage. In person voting is severely restricted so the return envelope is postage paid. I used to have to buy a stamp.

Reply to
rbowman

The Feds could override local laws. I doubt that they will try to take away all our guns and recall when the firearm issue come up with Biden decades ago he saw no reason that a person should have more than a double barrelled shotgun and would ban all semiautomatic firearms. That would have banned my favorite Remington 1100 shotgun at the time.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Please provide evidence that Biden has any designs on my husband's legally purchased and registered guns.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

He did try to get gun law changes under the Obama regime and has previously said that he opposes self loading guns.

If the dems go get both houses this time, he could well try to get those banned now.

Reply to
invalid unparseable