Buffalo, NY Celebrates Friday the 13th

Got your home storage? And does that include heat, light, shelter, shovels, medical, and so on? Buffalo gonna need a lot of repairing.

Buffalo, NY, has been shut down. As much as two feet of heavy, wet snow. Power cut to as many as 350,000 people. State of emergency, no travel. The snow started some time yesterday, and has finally shut the area down. At 4 PM on Friday as I write, the NYS Thruway is closed from exit 46 (Henrietta) to 59 (near PA line). Which is about 100 mile stretch of road.

I found out when I went to a local (to me) hardware store. They were sold out of generators. I find out that they had been selling one every 10 minutes.

A couple friends of mine live on the north edge of the city, in Amherst. I'm certain they do not have any backup heat, except maybe the burners on the stove. They may have a candle or two. Yes, I telephoned, but got no answer. Most likely the telephone is also out. I'm still trying to contact them to see what I can do to help. Of course, that's hard to do with no telephone. If you have friends in that area, please check and see if they are OK.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:zOUXg.60534$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

This was posted online by CNN at 12 PM today.

you're a bit late. :-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

We didn't get any snow at all in Rochester. Was it lake effect off Erie, or a storm that went north? I suppose it will all melt in a day or two, but that will just cause flooding. I wish you all well.

Reply to
Toller

"Toller" wrote in news:t3XXg.3034$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Not in Buffalo.they have pretty good drainage;right into Niagara River.

That much snow,it HAS to be Lake Effect. But I saw the weather radar recordings on the local Orlando news,and the storm went right up Lake Erie,thus;yes,lake effect.

Perhaps the beginning of an interesting winter?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I'm also in the Rah Cha Cha area. Aparently it went to Batavia, and Brockport. More B-names? From what I could figure it was some friek lake effect coming off Lake Erie. I've got some friends in north edge of Buffalo. Wonder if they are OK? They aren't at all into emergency preps. I think the one flashlight they have is the one I gave em for Christmas about five years ago. And their only backup heat is the gas stove. If they think to use it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Fat, dumb, and happy, here. I had simply no clue there was anything wrong till I went into a Home Depot (I'm about 100 miles from Buffalo) and found em sold out of generators. I asked what's wrong, and a lady at the store told me. I woulda never known, cause I don't watch TV.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Amherst is flat and full of clay. It'll be trouble when it melts because is will probably melt fast.

I'm down in the Southern Tier. All I can say is "better you than me". I was in the Hudson River Valley when the ice storm hit in Oct. of 87 or 88.

Reply to
Pat

"Pat" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I used to live in Tonawanda,grew up there,and Amherst,Cheektowaga,and Depew were well-known to me. Lockport,too. (I just can't remember the name of that bar in Lockport on Transit just north of Millersport....had many good times there.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Killed the old brains cells there, heh?

Reply to
Pat

"Pat" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

either that or another "senior moment". ;-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik