Square D electrical panel question

IDK what you're talking about now. For starters, circuit breakers don't trip when you touch live and earth, unless it is a GFCI breaker, which are the less common type and only required in certain applications. Second, per Ohms law, the higher the voltage in a given circuit, the higher the current. A human body, together with the rest of the circuit that completes it, has some resistance value. With a higher voltage, you will have higher current flowing, ergo it's easier to get to your 30ma.

Reply to
trader_4

It can't be more than boiling point. Most people boil the water for their coffee. There is no excuse for the woman being so stupid.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Of course that's the type I'm talking about, hence me referring to 30mA, not 15A. In the UK, the whole house is protected by such things, why wouldn't it be? This is why I use fuses.

My point is both voltages will easily exceed 30mA. If they didn't, those GFCI breakers would never trip. Killing you with 120mA is no worse than killing you with 60mA.

I just measured my resistance from hand to hand (the most likely path to get through the heart). 50kohm with wet hands, 500kohm with dry hands. At 120V, that's 2mA wet and 0.2mA dry. At 240V, that's 5mA wet and 0.5mA dry. No wonder I've never stopped my heart. It's impossible. The body has way more resistance than I thought. And I was squeezing as hard as I could for a good contact.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

The correct brewing temp for coffee is ~200F. That's brewing temp, not serving temp. Serving temp varies from place to place, but IDK any place here that serves it anywhere close to boiling, ~160 - 170F seems to be a typical serving temp. McDonalds was *serving* it at around 200, as I recall. And how was the woman stupid? She bought the coffee at a McDonald;s drive-thru. It accidentally spilled. If she's stupid for buying coffee at their drive-thru, then McD is stupid for selling it at their drive-thru. And it was shown that McD knew that it was exceptionally hot, the woman did not.

Reply to
trader_4

e:

rote:

it can kill you? Anything over 80 volts or something like that is all the same.

kin, or jump across gaps where you least expect it. But that's kV.

ng it higher than enough to kill you doesn't matter.

s 30mA with either voltage. Why do you think circuit breakers manage to tr ip when you touch live and earth? They need 30mA to trip.

not 15A. In the UK, the whole house is protected by such things, why would n't it be? This is why I use fuses.

If you're using fuses, why are you talking about GFCI? Of all the circuit breakers in the world, only a small fraction are GFCI.

As stated previously, it depends on the resistance of the entire circuit, including human body. Will it exceed 30ma in most cases, whether it's 120V or 240V, probably. But that doesn't change the fact that more current will flow at 240V than at 120V. Where with one you could have 30ma, with the other you could have 60ma and the higher it is, the worse it is. Capiche?

120mA is no worse than killing you with 60mA.

Why do you keep going back to GFCI all the time?

get through the heart). 50kohm with wet hands, 500kohm with dry hands. At 120V, that's 2mA wet and 0.2mA dry. At 240V, that's 5mA wet and 0.5mA dry . No wonder I've never stopped my heart. It's impossible. The body has w ay more resistance than I thought. And I was squeezing as hard as I could for a good contact.

Following that faulty logic, no one would ever be electrocuted by

120V, 240V, etc. There would be no need for GFCI. Yet it happens all the time.
Reply to
trader_4

So what, all are hot enough to burn you, which is why I don't understand peopledrinking hot coffe. I always have to wait about 10-15 minutes before I can drink it.

She picked up a cup of something and couldn't tell what temperature it was? She balanced it in her lap then spilt it. Coffee is hot, that's a simple fact known to anyone with half a brain. This f****it must have thought she'd ordered pop or something. Is she retarded? What was she doing driving a car if she was that dopey? Fine her for frivolous allegations. Even better drown the lawyer who took her side. Even better drown all lawyers. Slowly. Take responsibility for your own actions and stop blaming other people like pathetic little 6 year olds. In the UK, that lawsuit would have failed immediately. But then again, UK intelligence is a lot higher. If you guys would stop protecting your dumbasses, your next generation might match the intelligence of the rest of the world and you'd no longer be the laughing stock of our planet.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I'm using fuses but most people here use GFCI. All breakers are GFCI, or if you're a cheapskate, you have a GFCI or two master breaker which cuts off all the others. Why invent a "life saving" device then only use it here and there?

No, as you stated 30mA would kill you. Dying twice is no worse than dying once.

Because they prove that 30mA is attainable by touching live and ground with your body.

No it doesn't. You need a very weak heart to die, most hearts will restart automatically as soon as the power is removed. And I'm not convinced about the 30mA, perhaps with a weak heart you can die with a few mA, or people manage to get power going into their chest and not their hands.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

You folks are talking apples, oranges and pomegranates

In UK, Oz and NZ they have an RCD that looks for ground faults in the range of 30ma and disconnect the whole panel. This is a typical NZ panel. The red breaker is the main, the blue the RCD and the rest are branch circuit breakers.

In the US we only protect single branch circuits or individual loads with a GFCI but that is at 5ma. When we see 30ma protection, it is called "ground fault protection for equipment" because we think 30ma is too high to protect people. One thing you must keep in mind is 5ma might not kill you but it can still cause you to fall off the ladder.

Reply to
gfretwell

Forgot the picture

gfretwell

I see, so you're being way too safe again. Bunch of pansies is what you are. When we put in RCDs at 30mA, it was advertised you wouldn't even feel it when you touched the live. I touched a live wire on my mower without any breaker on it (a rat had chewed the flex) and had my bare feet on the ground. I jumped SLIGHTLY and said "Ayabastard!" Having that on a trip would have reduced it to un-noticeable..

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I see, so you're being way too safe again. Bunch of pansies is what you are. When we put in RCDs at 30mA, it was advertised you wouldn't even feel it when you touched the live. I touched a live wire on my mower without any breaker on it (a rat had chewed the flex) and had my bare feet on the ground. I jumped SLIGHTLY and said "Ayabastard!" Having that on a trip would have reduced it to un-noticeable..

Reply to
Mr Macaw

The ones I've seen don't have the superfluous red one. The blue one is used to switch everything off, aswell as interrupt if there's 30mA to earth. They've started putting in more than one blue one, hence you don't cut the whole house off when someone gets a shock, eg. you don't get put in the dark when you get a shock.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

You can get your bell rung pretty good at 30ma. Even the 5ma will wake you up.

I do think you should go easy on the "pansy" talk tho.

300,000,000-400,000,000 million guns don't seem to scare us much and well over a million are even machine guns.
Reply to
gfretwell

Forgot to mention, non-cheapskates get combined current limit breakers and earth leakage breakers, so every circuit has its own protection for both.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

What a wimp!

You had two unshocked legs, why didn't you use them?

Now you see myself, and most people I studied with at uni would have laughed or filmed the incident before helping you.

What, incase your arms were upset? Your heart was clearly still beating, what's the fuss about?

Oh what a surprise.

I';m sure you'll live. Oh, you did.

Even more wimpier than you.

Glad to hear they didn't go all health and softy and change the jumpers. It was you that did something daft, no changes were necessary.

I'd say from personal experience of both, that both feel the same, but AC allows you to let go, as your muscles are "shivering" at 50Hz, not cramped up.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Then your body isn't the same as everyone else's.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Not for a very short period of time, which is all the breaker allows.

You have guns BECAUSE you're scared.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

We have guns because we can. The thing a lot of people do not understand is there is a very active shooting sport community here. Beyond hunting we also have skeet, trap, sporting clays and a number of different target sports. That is where most of the billions of rounds of ammo that get fired here are used. It is just not worthy of putting on CNN.

This is simply another country with another culture. You are 3000 miles away, I think you will be safe if you stay there.

Reply to
gfretwell

e:

rote:

te:

heir coffee. There is no excuse for the woman being so stupid.

peopledrinking hot coffe. I always have to wait about 10-15 minutes before I can drink it.

Which is more likely to melt nylons and give you third degree burns?

I guess they don't have drive-thrus in the UK. She pulled up to a window and they handed her the coffee. By then it was too late and she had no way of knowing what temp it was. But McD did know that it was being served at 200F, too hot for anyone to drink.

She balanced it in her lap then spilt it. Coffee is hot, that's a simple fact known to anyone with half a brain. This f****it must have thought she 'd ordered pop or something. Is she retarded? What was she doing driving a car if she was that dopey? Fine her for frivolous allegations. Even bet ter drown the lawyer who took her side. Even better drown all lawyers. Sl owly. Take responsibility for your own actions and stop blaming other peop le like pathetic little 6 year olds. In the UK, that lawsuit would have fa iled immediately. But then again, UK intelligence is a lot higher. If you guys would stop protecting your dumbasses, your next generation might matc h the intelligence of the rest of the world and you'd no longer be the laug hing stock of our planet.

Feel free to rant. The jury ruled in her favor, it's over. And I think there was enough evidence there to support the verdict.

Reply to
trader_4

And McCaw doesn't understand Ohms law either.

Reply to
trader_4