Square D electrical panel question

What I saw in an old apartment probably looked like that, except for no ground holes.
How would that be wired?
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I would bring a 14/3 romex into the box. The 120 would get a black and white, the 240 a red and black. I believe in that receptacle the black side screws are tied common.

red wire on one terminal, black wire on another terminal, and white wire on the third, with the bare wire to the ground terminal. The 120 volt outlet sees the black and white plus ground, the 240 gets the black and red plus ground.

I tried to look up NEMA earlier, there seem to be about 10 different sockets for different currents. Do you have them all in use?

How is the DIY I do in my house on public record if nobody is told I did it?

The only sensible reasoning is that the law should never protect somebody from themselves, only from other people.
--
Harry Carpenter at the Oxford-Cambridge boat race 1977 - "Ah, isn't that nice. The wife of the Cambridge President is kissing the Cox of the Oxford crew."

On 03/12/2016 02:22 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
[snip]

There's a lot more, for different voltages including 125, 250, 277, 347, 480, and 600 volts with and without ground, and different currents.
And that's before you get to twist-lock and 3-phase wye and delta.
[snip]
--
"I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty" [John
Waters]

How many are you likely to find in houses? (Including older houses and newer ones).
--
Take notice: when this sign is under water, this road is impassable.

In residential you will run into six 240v receptacles 6-15 6-20 10-30 14-30 10-50 14-50
Two 120v 5-15 6-15 3 in you include real old homes 1-15
It is possible to see a few others but not usual. 6-30 if they have a welder or big shop equipment TT-30 if they have an RV (caravan)
Once you get to commercial, you could see anything including a lot that do not have NEMA numbers (Russell Stoll, IEC etc)

Guess that it all in where one lives. I have alway lived in a house. Grew up in a town of about 20,000 and lived about 8 blocks from the middle of town. House was about 1000 sq ft of living and another 200 feet of unheated space. The other houses were somewhat larger and of town. Now have about 2000 sqft on 3 acers. All had plenty of space for the water heater. I could see it in apartment houses. Have not been in any of the large cities but would think they would have a large tank or two for the building.

The material is permanent press. You just take the warm cloths out of the dryer and hang them up. Just don't let them get cold in the dryer. If you do they will have all kinds of wrinkles in them. You can dampen them and run the dryer for a short time if this hapens.

Some rooms will be fed by 2 circuits. Especially the kitchen area where one might want to run the instant coffee pot and toaster or microwave at the same time.

Most outlets are the double kind,but are wired to the same breaker so only a total of 15 amps can be used. The outside one I mentioned that I put in was wired so each side could actually get 30 amps at 120 volts or there is a 240 volt outlet in the same box good for 30 amps. They are all connected to the same breaker so the total of 120 and 240 can only be 30 amps.

Some of the code is way above ,but guess the government is trying to prevent people from doing stupid things. They are regulating how hot the coffee can be in restraunts now. Seems that a while aback someone got some hot coffee at a drive through and spilled it on their selves and got burnt and sued and won about 5 or 6 million dollars for that.

That was the main reason, Make it so I could use my gasoline powered 5 kw generator to power part of the house if the power is out.
On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 12:20:17 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

They were awarded a huge amount (2.68 million, i believe), but McDonalds appealed and the payment was significantly reduced, with the woman eventually recieving $640,000.

On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 6:38:12 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

And there were extenuating circumstances too. The plaintiff showed that McDonalds knew for a long time that their coffee was far hotter than coffee at similar places, dangerously hot, etc and did nothing about it. It was so hot that it melted the nylon the woman was wearing, as I recall.

It can't be more than boiling point. Most people boil the water for their coffee. There is no excuse for the woman being so stupid.
--
How many potheads does it take to change a light bulb?
Two. One to hold the bulb against the socket, and the other to smoke up until the room starts spinning.
On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 9:14:22 AM UTC-5, Mr Macaw wrote:

The correct brewing temp for coffee is ~200F. That's brewing temp, not serving temp. Serving temp varies from place to place, but IDK any place here that serves it anywhere close to boiling, ~160 - 170F seems to be a typical serving temp. McDonalds was *serving* it at around 200, as I recall. And how was the woman stupid? She bought the coffee at a McDonald;s drive-thru. It accidentally spilled. If she's stupid for buying coffee at their drive-thru, then McD is stupid for selling it at their drive-thru. And it was shown that McD knew that it was exceptionally hot, the woman did not.

So what, all are hot enough to burn you, which is why I don't understand peopledrinking hot coffe. I always have to wait about 10-15 minutes before I can drink it.

She picked up a cup of something and couldn't tell what temperature it was? She balanced it in her lap then spilt it. Coffee is hot, that's a simple fact known to anyone with half a brain. This fuckwit must have thought she'd ordered pop or something. Is she retarded? What was she doing driving a car if she was that dopey? Fine her for frivolous allegations. Even better drown the lawyer who took her side. Even better drown all lawyers. Slowly. Take responsibility for your own actions and stop blaming other people like pathetic little 6 year olds. In the UK, that lawsuit would have failed immediately. But then again, UK intelligence is a lot higher. If you guys would stop protecting your dumbasses, your next generation might match the intelligence of the rest of the world and you'd no longer be the laughing stock of our planet.
--
Women are not served here. You have to bring your own.

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 9:54:07 AM UTC-5, Mr Macaw wrote:
e:

rote:

te:

to prevent

coffee can

ot coffee

d sued and

the

that

it.

ecall.

heir coffee. There is no excuse for the woman being so stupid.

peopledrinking hot coffe. I always have to wait about 10-15 minutes before I can drink it.

Which is more likely to melt nylons and give you third degree burns?

s?
I guess they don't have drive-thrus in the UK. She pulled up to a window and they handed her the coffee. By then it was too late and she had no way of knowing what temp it was. But McD did know that it was being served at 200F, too hot for anyone to drink.
She balanced it in her lap then spilt it. Coffee is hot, that's a simple fact known to anyone with half a brain. This fuckwit must have thought she 'd ordered pop or something. Is she retarded? What was she doing driving a car if she was that dopey? Fine her for frivolous allegations. Even bet ter drown the lawyer who took her side. Even better drown all lawyers. Sl owly. Take responsibility for your own actions and stop blaming other peop le like pathetic little 6 year olds. In the UK, that lawsuit would have fa iled immediately. But then again, UK intelligence is a lot higher. If you guys would stop protecting your dumbasses, your next generation might matc h the intelligence of the rest of the world and you'd no longer be the laug hing stock of our planet.

Feel free to rant. The jury ruled in her favor, it's over. And I think there was enough evidence there to support the verdict.

There isn't much difference between 200 and 170F.

Yes, we do. But we aren't stupid enough to put hot coffee balanced in stupid places.

It wasn't too late, she was holding it and knew what temperature it was by the sensors in the skin of her hand, yet she chose to balance it in her lap, next to her naughty bits.

Your courts always get things wrong, basically because it's similarly stupid Americans voting in the jury. The simple fact is people should look after themselves. McDonalds did not throw the coffee over her. SHE caused the coffee to spill. ONLY SHE is to blame. This is simple logic and if you can't follow that it's no wonder you spend half your life in courts suing each other, it really is pathetic to watch. Take some responsibility for your on actions and grow the fuck up.
--
Patient: Doctor, I think I need glasses.
Madam: I think so, too. This is a brothel.

Why did she receive money for being an idiot? Coffee is hot. This is a well known fact. Has she never made any herself? If anybody sued me for something that petty, I'd seriously consider killing them in revenge.
--
Duelling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are
registered blood donors.

I'm in a two bedroomed semi detached house (two houses in one building). I have 49 square metres = 527 square feet. Plus the garage which is being converted into living space, which is 18 square metres = 194 square feet. Before I removed two internal walls to make a much larger room, I was constantly cursing about bumping into things it was so damn small.

The other claim is it saves money to only heat what you need, but I don't believe that. If it's winter, the heat escaping from the tank simply heats the house anyway. If it's summer, you don't use much hot water anyway.

Nothing wrinkles after being in a dryer, but I don't use a dryer, it costs a fortune in electricity. I thought you meant there was a fabric that wouldn't be creased after being hung up to dry?
I heard the phrase permanent press 20 years ago, then it disappeared, so either we don't use it, or everything is.

And how do you know which outlet is on which circuit?
On that note, we have a stupid thing which is allowed in our code. Double outlets - two 13A sockets in one unit. But they can only handle 20 amps total! So if you run two 13A devices from it, you overload it and it melts. Only a few MK (a quality manufacturer) sockets are rated at the correct 26A.

Doesn't that exceed the abilities of the contacts?

You must have clever breakers, how does it add the current to three different sockets on different voltages and possibly different phases?

What a crazy thing to do. If you prevent the stupid people from killing themselves, the stupid gene continues into the next generation.

On her vagina no less. While balancing it and trying to drive at the same time. She should have been done for dangerous driving and got no compensation at all. If I was McDonalds, I'd be making the coffee stone cold, and putting a warning on the cup saying, "Due to fuckwits like Mrs Liebeck, this coffee is cold. If you don't like it, phone [insert Mrs Liebeck's number]".

I bet that would really confuse an inspector :-)
--
Love conquers all, except in tennis.

On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 10:49:55 AM UTC-5, Mr Macaw wrote:

Where would you want to put it, the living room? Here we generally have an area that set up for the washer, eg water faucets to screw the hoses onto, drain for it, and then the dryer goes right next to it, with a 240V receptacle provided. The dryers are also vented outside, so if you can move yours around, what do they do with the venting?

Takes just a few minutes. Not a problem really. While it's warming up there is usually something else that can be done at the same time, right there.

Permanent press clothes and taking things like dress shirts to the cleaners.

We have multiple 15A or 20A 120V circuits for receptacles and/or lights. Many circuits have both on them. How many circuits depends on the size of the house. But having 12 to 20 of them isn't unusual.

A different part of the kitchen / utility room / garage .....

The dryer needs no water supply, so doesn't have to be there. For example I've got the washing machine and dishwasher in the kitchen near the sink, so they take the same water, but there's no room for a dryer aswell. The cooker and fridge are also in the same area for convenience when cooking.

Most dryers have a condenser nowadays, if they don't you can fit one (simply a small tub of water the hot air goes through).

Bad idea, you forget the iron is on!

What is a permanent press clothe?

That's a lot of wiring.
--
Testicle (n.), a humorous question on an exam.

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 10:41:43 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

There are no 240 volt "outlets" in a typical north american home. Only high current items such as driers and ranges run on 240 volts - and they have specific connectors for the amperage of the appliance. A range uses a different plug than a drier., and those connectors are installed only where that specific appliance will be installed.

It is NOT for convenience, but for safety. Running extention cords everywhere is not safe. Particularly running them across doorways under carpets.

Out tea kettles are generally 120 volt and 1500 watts, +/- and can heat a cup of water for tea in about 45 seconds to 2 minutes.
Heating a quart takes a bit longer - and some heat faster than others.

Portable heaters generally run 1500 watts on high, and 750 or 850 on low. Irons are generally 1200 watts. They do not heat up immediately, but mabee the "colonials" have a bit more patience then folks from "the old country"

The average north american home has a minimum of 100 amp service - with very many having 200 amp, and others 120 and 150. Some large homes have multiple 200 or 400 amp services.
60 amp is pretty well obsolete now and is nefer installed in a new building. All of our fuses are AFTER the meter.

Here we don't generally use "widow-maker" showers - and washing machines and dishwashers generally use hot water from the central water heater (tank type or more recently in more numbers, tankless "on demand " heaters. Dish washers sometimes have a built-in heater for the "sanitize" cycle.

And current code requires several 20 amp circuits for the kitchen.