Square D electrical panel question

Why is America cheaper for everything? There's a phrase "rip off Britai= n" but nobody knows why it's the case.

It's our bloody NHS that saps the money. And I see Obama is doing the s= ame.

I don't get to choose.

-- =

Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII: "When a prang seems inevitable, endeavour to strike the softest, cheapes= t object in the vicinity as slowly and gently as possible."

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Why are you so far behind us with wires? Ours have been underground for many decades. Only the national grid at 330,000 volts is overground.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

You use BTU as a measurement? That's "BRITISH thermal unit", something we used to use for gas, now it's in kWh, the same as electricity always has been.

That's 3517W. Our 230V sockets are 13A, which is 2990W. Although I get about 246V here, so it's more like 3198W. One of the reasons I use a UPS for my lighting, so the bulbs don't wear out. My voltage is from 241V to 255V. It's supposed to be 230V. I complained, but they're not obliged to fix anything under 10% over.

My electric cooker has a 30A connection, which is 6kW. My shower has a 60A outlet, so I could theoretically put in a 14kW shower. I've seen Honda advertise 80A outlets for your wall to fast charge their electric cars.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

The pump is really the main usage. I have solar heat and a gas heater but we never use the gas. Most people in the world would say our pool was always warm enough. It is about 20 now, I will get in it when it is 23 and my wife likes 29 or more. That is most of the summer tho. The solars will extend the season for me to about 9 months and in the

3 when it is too cold to get in the pool I switch the solars over to the spa. I can usually get 38 or more for free in the solars.
Reply to
gfretwell

Coffee has been elevated to it's own food group here and people will pay more for a cup of coffee than a beer. I am OK with regular drip coffee tho. I haven't seen perked coffee in years. I probably drink a liter or so a day.

Reply to
gfretwell

According to the laws of physics, 10C water to boiling with a 1500W heating element is 4 minutes 12 seconds.

I'm thinking of say three people having a mug of coffee. That seems to take far too long even with a 3000W kettle. But then I get annoyed waiting for a microwave oven to cook my food.... I think the problem lies with computers getting faster and faster, but the rest of life doesn't.

Or just use the hot tap on the sink, from your gas boiler.

I'm very impatient. To see this for yourself, try driving in front of me.

It does. I'd say 3kW is a reasonable amount of power to heat a medium sized room.

Do you not have thermostatic radiator valves? Or more room stats with zoned valves?

Yes, our showers are, but they're more substantial, like this:

Not along the worktop they can't. And I look where I'm going anyway. When did the whole world become blind?

Odd, the whole house has GFCI here. Except mine, I can't be bothered with that shit, I have the original fusebox installed in 1979. It works. It never trips and annoys me. I'd rather say ouch than have to go and reset it.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I think a lot is just tradition. The assumption was that overhead wires were easier to maintain. Now they are starting to figure out that there is not that much maintenance necessary if they are buried. Most new installation is underground but we still have millions of miles on poles. They have the thought that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reply to
gfretwell

What I saw in an old apartment probably looked like that, except for no ground holes.

How would that be wired?

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Did you move your ground wire to the ground bus?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And where does your ground wire go, where it comes in from the pole?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I would bring a 14/3 romex into the box. The 120 would get a black and white, the 240 a red and black. I believe in that receptacle the black side screws are tied common.

Reply to
gfretwell

red wire on one terminal, black wire on another terminal, and white wire on the third, with the bare wire to the ground terminal. The 120 volt outlet sees the black and white plus ground, the 240 gets the black and red plus ground.

Reply to
clare

That's because you don't have a clue how to operate a killfile. I can killfile a person and every reply to it underneath ad infinitum.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

What do you expect from a gay Canadian?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

My point was 30mA could be achieved just as easily with 120V. Making it higher than enough to kill you doesn't matter.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I'm not a wimpy pessimist. And I've had about 6 240V shocks. None of them killed me funnily enough, yet people worry about getting only one.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

30ma can't be achieved just as easily with 120V as with 240V. The human body has resistance, tap water has resistance, etc. Under the same conditions where 30ma is going through you at 240V, you'd only have about half that at 120V.
Reply to
trader_4

I disagree. The resistance isn't enough to get anything like as low as 30mA with either voltage. Why do you think circuit breakers manage to trip when you touch live and earth? They need 30mA to trip.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I'm in a two bedroomed semi detached house (two houses in one building). I have 49 square metres = 527 square feet. Plus the garage which is being converted into living space, which is 18 square metres = 194 square feet. Before I removed two internal walls to make a much larger room, I was constantly cursing about bumping into things it was so damn small.

The other claim is it saves money to only heat what you need, but I don't believe that. If it's winter, the heat escaping from the tank simply heats the house anyway. If it's summer, you don't use much hot water anyway.

Nothing wrinkles after being in a dryer, but I don't use a dryer, it costs a fortune in electricity. I thought you meant there was a fabric that wouldn't be creased after being hung up to dry?

I heard the phrase permanent press 20 years ago, then it disappeared, so either we don't use it, or everything is.

And how do you know which outlet is on which circuit?

On that note, we have a stupid thing which is allowed in our code. Double outlets - two 13A sockets in one unit. But they can only handle 20 amps total! So if you run two 13A devices from it, you overload it and it melts. Only a few MK (a quality manufacturer) sockets are rated at the correct 26A.

Doesn't that exceed the abilities of the contacts?

You must have clever breakers, how does it add the current to three different sockets on different voltages and possibly different phases?

What a crazy thing to do. If you prevent the stupid people from killing themselves, the stupid gene continues into the next generation.

On her vagina no less. While balancing it and trying to drive at the same time. She should have been done for dangerous driving and got no compensation at all. If I was McDonalds, I'd be making the coffee stone cold, and putting a warning on the cup saying, "Due to fuckwits like Mrs Liebeck, this coffee is cold. If you don't like it, phone [insert Mrs Liebeck's number]".

I bet that would really confuse an inspector :-)

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Why did she receive money for being an idiot? Coffee is hot. This is a well known fact. Has she never made any herself? If anybody sued me for something that petty, I'd seriously consider killing them in revenge.

Reply to
Mr Macaw