Square D QO question

Yes, I think they do, just for that reason.

Reply to
Jack

I have a Nutone central vacuum on a dedicated 20 amp, 120v circuit. The vacuum is spec'd to draw 12.6 amps (I measure it at closer to 13.5 amps) but the starting current is close to twice that. Consequently the breaker opens at least half the time at start-up.

Does Square D make a QO 20 amp breaker with a delay characteristic? Perhaps a thermal breaker?

Although the circuit is dedicated, running 10AWG in order to put in a 30 amp breaker will not be fun.

Thanks, Boden

Reply to
boden

Meter reading will varty depending on the type meter you have.

True rms?

Reply to
Tazz

Sounds like you have a weak breaker. A 20 amp breaker should take at least 20 seconds or so to trip when the load is 40 amps. Your load is apparently around 25 amps, and at that current it should take many minutes to trip. Meanwhile, the central vac should be up to speed, and the current down at 13.5 A, in less than 20 seconds.

Here's an example trip curve for one model of QO breaker. The same site has many others if you know exactly which model of breaker you have.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

Another example: our central vac is a two-stage (two fans in series, two motors) rated somewhere around 13 A. It's plugged into a circuit with a

15 A breaker. It *never* trips the breaker when started.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

Seems strang, have you tried swapping another 20a breaker in?

tom @

Just Joshin