Fence posts

Hearing that I was planning to put up a fence, a friend who owns a small farm (but does not work it herself) offered to lend me a post-hole digger.

She called to say that the guy who works for her is even willing to come dig the holes and set the posts for me, but his standard method is:

for 4" posts, use a 3" post-hole digger, then drive the posts in and throw the dirt back in. No concrete necessary.

Please tell me that, while this may work for chain-link or barbed-wire fencing out on the farm, this isn't going to work for posts to support fence panels in a residential environment. I see two problems: (a) how do you ensure that the posts are plumb? (b) the tops of the posts are going to get wrecked in the course of driving them in.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Take a look at other posts the guy has put in.

You're paying him, or she is?

Haven't used one, but somehow I think it is fairly easy to hold the tool vertical. Maybe because when it isn't vertical it will by trying to fall over in one direction or the other. Same way, if you put a straw broom on its handle, it's pretty easy to keep it exactly vertical.

At least at the start of the hole

Reply to
mm