Rotate electrical panel?

Hello, I'm remodelling the kitchen in my condo and would like to rotate the electrical panel (currently in the kitchen) so that access to the panel is from the other side of the wall. The panel would stay in the same location, all that's changing is the direction from which it is accessed. Well, I'm sure that I'll actually need a new panel with more circuits, but the access will be from the other side of the wall. Rotating the panel will allow me to use that wall in the kitchen, which opens a lot more design possibilities, such as moving appliances and adding storage options. Does anyone know how difficult a job that is, or how much it might cost, or have any other advice?

Thanks,

Reply to
quksilver

It could be easy, or difficult depending on all the things that we don't know about the project.

Generally, I'd say it is doable, you'll need an electrican to do the removal of the old panel, and installation of the new one however.

Reply to
PeterD

I was able to do it myself. I had to pull a permit, pay for it, but had to pass a ten question test before I was able to complete the permit process. Then it was a matter of being without power while the old panel was disconnected by the electric company. They worked with me doing this. I could have been without power till the inspector came out to re-inspect. (24 to 72 hours). I was able to have them reattach the power then I reattached all the circuits. Talk to your permitting office, they might just have a plan for the do it yourselfer.

But YOU must know what Electricity can do to you. This is not childs play, and you really need to be sure you know wtf you are doing......

If you have any questions, hire an electrician. They do this for a living.....

Reply to
Bill

Given there are not code restrictions on the other side of the wall its likely a simple job. Unless you are in a location with out of sight electricians, it is probably a project that is not worth tryng to do yourself. Given the panel is in the kitchen and on an interior wall (i.e. more than 6' from the meter) there will likely be a disconnect at the meter so the utility may not have to be involved at all though technically a permit would be neccessary. Get a quote from an electrician and unless the quote is out of sight high, they will likely be able to do the job far cheaper (if you figure time, grief, and worry) than you can.

Definately doable, and probably easily doable, call an electrician unless you are very saavy with electrical work (in which case you would likely not be asking for advice here).

Mark

Reply to
BDBConstruction

My gut feeling what that if the OP had to ask the question he did, he felt he was not technically able ot do the job. Hence my comment of needing an electrican!

In fact this (as you point out) is a complex job, so I hope he does get some help in doing it--even if he just gets an electrican to supervise and advise him. It could be one heck of a bang if he gets it wrong!

Reply to
PeterD

It's also in a condo, and they have their own rules requiring that licensed, bonded professionals do this type of work (and there are fees if you don't mind the rules!) :)

Thanks for all the advice. We'll see what the electricians have to say today.

Cheers,

Reply to
quksilver