Special delivery (signed for post) is pointless

The way it should be. Royal Mail should be removing this antequated bullshit. I have a letterbox. If it's gone through it, it's in my house where nobody can steal it. I'm not a Merkin with a letterbox outside my house like a f****ng neanderthal.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

They take photos.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

I have a shed in the front garden, and CCTV covering the entrance to it, and a notice on the front door saying so. Anything they don't put in there is not delivered as far as I'm concerned. It can be retried twice, taken back to the delivery office, take up space on a shelf for 18 days, then go back to the sender who can try getting a f****ng clue.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

But somebody else has paid more than double the price of a stamp to get a signature ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Dual-beam is the usual way to reduce false triggering.

Reply to
Andy Burns

For the majority of the working population no-one will be at home when RM deliver and around my way they have recently reduced the hours the local delivery centre is open for collection (4 hours each day except Monday when it's two hours).

Reply to
alan_m

Yes. But pretty robust microphones

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Because the trouble is not juts the couriers losing the packages, its people claiming refunds because they 'never got it'.

That's why the photographs and signatures. To prove that they actually delivered it to someone

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That someone may not have been you!

Reply to
alan_m

I suspect that is not their problem. These days they mostly ask who you are. And photograph you as well

If they dont know you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have an IR sensor on the driveway, the only false alarms I get are from birds, cats and the occasional coyote.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Make the knocker into a "no-knocker" by screwing (or JB Welding) the knocker down - or add a wireless button in the center that rings the bell when it is :knocked"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

No, they REALLY want to jail the old coot - or at least make him pay dearly for all the crap he's gotten away with for 70 years.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

More often than not it's 200 of the wrong thing in 3 bins and nothing of the right thing - becuase the guy stocking the shelf doesn't know what things are and customers NEVER put things back in the right bin. When the physical inventory ids done the crap gets miscounted and the inventory never gets corrected.

At least at the 3 Home DEespots within half a mile of my home - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Or a pressure door mat

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Not only that, they are often mechanically tuned to a given frequency range (by a combination of mass and spring rate)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The camera is known to them as they're standing there. And I may well be sat indoors and see them on the screen and come out with a crowbar to rearrange their brains.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

You talk absolute bollocks. I was missing a package (from Evri, was Hermes), and it said delivered. I looked at the photo, and there was also a satnav coordinate, which placed it in my culdesac. I simply walked round and found the front door with the same pattern, knocked on the door, and found he'd received two of his parcels and my one together, and hidden them quickly as his two were birthday presents for his kid.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

Mine didn't (well I didn't check actually), but when I click on the website link to track it, a map is shown.

I've used this when I sold something on Ebay and the buyer said it hadn't arrived. They shut up when I showed them the map from the Royal Mail placing the postman in their front garden.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

It would help if the signature looked like a name so I could trace the parcel. Firstly many people sign things so illegibly you can't tell their name. Secondly the touchscreens on the things you sign on are pitiful and you just get a wiggly line. I tried using my fingernail on one for better precision, and it didn't detect the touch at all! Works fine like that on my phone.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin