Special delivery (signed for post) is pointless

Why do people post items requiring a signature? Guess what, most people are out during the day. Those items are left to get returned to sender, I can't be bothered with this nonsense.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

Vladimir Putin snipped-for-privacy@will.rule wrote

I don't get a choice, that is determined by the operation I buy it from, or by what the law requires, most obviously with grog.

Irrelevant, I'm not.

Nope, the recipient gets to pick it up from the post office etc.

Your problem.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Seems to depend on where you live IME. I've found the delivery people don't give a FF and just leave it round the back regardless. I've complained about it as it's not fair to the senders, but they keep doing it regardless.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Am 10/01/2024 um 21:31 schrieb Vladimir Putin:

I very occasionally sell through *bay and I need proof of parcel being delivered.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

My latest delivery was over £400. I am not surprised they asked for a sig.,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Deliveries actually requiring a sig was supposed to be re-instated from

1/5/2022, but round here if I take more than 10ms to answer the door, the postie seems to forge an "X" on their PDA and shove it through the letterbox, rather than return the item.
Reply to
Andy Burns

It would be interesting if it was a court citation and the postman was called to give evidence of delivery.

Reply to
Scott

RM is obviously satisfied that delivering a signed for item without a signature is not going to cause any problems legally, presumably because they have the record from the postman's ('woman's) PDA. I received one yesterday, and the first I knew about it was when an email arrived telling me that it had been delivered. I've not been to the sorting office to collect anything since before Covid.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

When I used to mail in my income tax returns (before e-filing became available), I always sent them certified mail, return receipt requested in the event that the recipient tax agency later claimed that I hadn't filed. In my experience, delivery signatures are required by the sellers of high value items to me. It discourages a recipient falsely claiming that the item was never received.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

I like the way some companies will take a picture of the package sitting at the place it was delivered. As far as I know the only thing that was not delivered to me was a Walmart food order during covid. My one and only order from them for food.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

And the postman/woman will be happy to attend court as a witness while RM covers his/her shift?

Reply to
Scott

Am 11/01/2024 um 14:54 schrieb Ralph Mowery:

The dangers of x posting to a non UK group!

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

And you can sign up for free at the USPS for their "informed delivery" service. Each day you are scheduled to get first class mail delivered, you'll get an e-mail that shows the front side of the envelope of each piece of first class mail. If it doesn't show up, you can even submit an inquiry to the post office from that day's email after a 3 day wait. If I receive all the 1st class items displayed in the e-mail, I delete that day's e-mail. The site also shows the tracking number of pending packages that are being tracked for delivery by USPS mail.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

I have been signed up for that foe a long time. I also check the ups and other services for tracking. Being I am retired I am at home when many of them say the package has arrived. Some will email you of the package progres if you ask for it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I have a small table next to my front door, that is behind a bush so a package left on it is not visible from the street. Some delivery people leave packages there. Others leave it in front of the door where it is completely visible from the street as well as in the way of opening the door.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

All very well if you're sending it to a company, where you know someone will be there 9-5. But most people in a house are not in 9-5, they're out working for example. Not practical in any way whatsoever to require a signature. Very simple as far as I'm concerned. Anything requiring my signature will not be delivered. Send it by normal post or I will never get it, not my problem.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

I sent you $500 cash by registered mail and it was returned for no signature. No bonus for you.

Reply to
Ed P

Now if only they would ring the doorbell so it doesn't sit on the porch waiting for porch pirates for hours.

Reply to
Bob F

I even have sign on my door saying "please ring the bell". Perhaps the delivery people can't read. The first I know about many deliveries is an email telling me the parcel has been left on the door step.

Reply to
charles

Which is completely meaningless if the package has been dumped at the wrong address or the delivery driver just takes it away after the photo has been taken.

The photos usually show the package placed on doorsteps/paths/grass with no identifiable reference to the actual address. Even when handed to you and a photo taken it will be of the package showing the address on the package label but not the face of the person that it was delivered to.

Reply to
alan_m