Snow gates in Scotland (2023 Update)

The ghastliest one I read of, was a woman who was killed by the impact of her seatbeltless son's head fracturing her skull as he sat right behind her....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its odd. Mate has a volvo and a second hand alloy was £200, but I got a jaguar wheel and tyre for £130.

Steel wheels ain't £150.

The Natural Philosopher

That's a fancy foreign car. Do you get nailed for EU imports since Brexit?

That's in line with US prices considering it's a 20" wheel and I was mostly seeing 15".

Reply to
rbowman

Yes. You can pay over the odds for what amounts to a 'utility' wheel, but you dont *have* to.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Jim gm4dhj ...

All but one of my 4x4s have had permanent four wheel drive.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Illegal in the UK.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

In Scotland, there simply isn't impassible snow. The modern health and softy brigade closes roads for 1-2cm of snow! I drove my VW Golf (standard low profile tyres, not winter tyres or chains) uphill through almost a foot of snow successfully. All you need is skill and/or an automatic gearbox.

Modern snowcats go 10-18mph. Or you could just use a snowmobile, those are very fast.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Everything's illegal in the UK. Rules are for the obedience of fools.

So they made a safety feature illegal, ROTFPMSL!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Hmm... are they? I thought they were OK if the road was fully snow covered

It it isn't the tyre will wear out a lot faster than the road

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, not my definition of trailer. This is a trailer:

$_86.JPG

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That's their choice and their problem.

There you go then. You did it, they failed. Their problem, not yours.

You can follow a truck with a 2 inch gap and save a tonne of fuel.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

These are specialized but I've pulled one with a 3/4 ton pickup with farm equipment on it.

Thank goodness it's fairly flat ground around here.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Don't get snow that deep here, they close the roads for a predicted 1-2cm, it was in the news.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Big deal, you stop the car, get out, and have a snowball fight.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

This is my f****ng point, we do not need closed roads in this country. Anywhere that gets snow as deep as the links recently provided, it would either be blindingly obvious you couldn't get through, or they could just put up a sign saying "x feet of snow y miles ahead".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Ahh, you're one of those that fall for media hype and exaggeration. You see 20 people dying without seatbelts, but you discount the 50 billion journeys with no crash. I guess you're the type that thought the covid virus was something to worry about, something which killed less than cancer, less than kidney disease, and less than the world population growth. Insignificant.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Our government is only concerned with their money, not ours. They fit speedbumps which destroy our tyres and suspension at our expense (no matter what speed you go at), making half the vehicles on the road unroadworthy and dangerous. But they ticked their pathetic little box. It's even been shown you can't drive at the speed limit over most bumps without really f****ng your car. If the limit is 20, why does the bump require you to go 5?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

AIUI, it is an EU regulation that they cannot be used unless the Member State specifically allows their use in domestic legislation, which UK legislation does not. That may, of course, change as we shed EU regulations.

However, the Construction and Use Regulations, which are home grown, make it an offence to drive a vehicle with a tyre not suitable for the use it is being put to and also for having any defect in a tyre that may cause damage to the surface of the road. So, while that could allow studded tyres to be used on fully snow or ice covered roads, to be legal, the driver would have to stop and change to unstudded tyres upon reaching a tarmac surface.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Things on the bottom of football boots.

Or lengths of threaded rod, such as the ones you screw the wheel nuts on.

Or maybe something else. So vague.

Reply to
Max Demian