Snow gates in Scotland (2023 Update)

Are those things locked? Could we just open them and say someone else must have done it?

Why do they pay a policeman to close it then come out again and open it? Why not just send out the snowplough driver? 1 person is cheaper than 2.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You know I have not the foggiest idea what you are talking about?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

nothing new there then

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

I've never known Brian to be stupid. Perhaps English folk never see snow gates. Maybe they're just a Scottish menace.

And why did you over snip?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Looking at photos and some of the live camera feeds covering them, they certainly appear to have provisions to be locked both open and closed.

I suspect the wind could do that if they were not locked.

SFAIK, snowplough drivers do not have the power to close a road, while a Police officer does.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I can't find a photo of one close enough to see. It could just be you drop a metal pin through to keep them closed.

I meant the snowplough would mean it didn't have to be closed.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The places I know that have gates, such as some car parks, use locks to prevent unauthorised people from opening or closing them.

There is a limit to how much snow ploughs can clear.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

They could be more certain people would break in.

They use the gates for 1 inch of snow, it's pitiful.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But they close it until the plough appears, which successfully clears it then they open the gates. So why not just plough it at the point they close the gates? Buy more ploughs and fire some pigs.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

An alternative would be only to allow people through who had winter tyres fitted. Of course, that would mean the Police officer would need be there continuously, to check every car for the proper sidewall markings before they let them through.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

No it wouldn't. You simply put up a warning sign (it could even be automated) giving an estimated depth of snow and advising to only proceed if your car is suitable. Let people think for themselves and stop treating us like children.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The French have signs in the Alps saying chains must be fitted beyond this point in winter. I doubt they stick a gendarme there.

Does anyone actually use winter tyres? A bit much hassle to get all your tyres changed twice a year.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

"Snow Gates are used on parts of the Highway Network where snowfall is likely to block the road in the winter months."

"In Scotland, the legislation permitting the use of snow gates is the s.33 Roads (Scotland) Act 1984..."

Didn't they have snow in Scotland before 1984?

Sounds like "snow days", when all the schools close. Didn't happen in

1963. Pah!
Reply to
Max Demian

Do you mean pikeys?

Even a £1 lock on a gate if damaged to gain entry to a car park means that they can be moved on without a court order.

The dirty thieving inbred bastards moved into a unlocked car park in Doncaster last year and it took a couple of weeks to get rid of the scum.

Reply to
ARW

Our local town welcomed them with a caveat 'there's been a lot of fires amongst parked caravans here' . They were gone by next evening

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This doesn't answer your question but I thought of it because of the gates. Authorities are thinking of making people operate within a fifteen minute radius of their homes. Permission would be required to go beyond that.

Dean Hoffman

I have a set of winter tyres on wheels in the garage, for when I made trips to Germany. My local tyre centre will change them for a fairly modest fee.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

The one I know best, on Forestry Commission land, has a height bar to stop caravans. The lock is also enclosed in a heavy steel box that would take even a portable angle grinder a while to remove.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Me neither. It appears to be something to do with what the haggis rapers do about a decent snow fall affecting the roads.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Mandatory in many (European?) countries I believe.

Reply to
Chris Green