Snow gates in Scotland (2023 Update)

If there was, millions wouldn't be changing the tires twice a year.

Yep, trivial to do.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have never had a f****ng clue about anything at all, ever.

The oil light indicats that there isnt ENOUGH oil, not that it isnt good enough anymore.

Reply to
chop

This is the fool who ignored the oil light on one of his frog cars and chucked a tantrum when that killed the engine.

Reply to
Rod Speed

no doubt

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

They would, trust me. '96 was a particularly bad winter across the country. I loaded computer cases in Milwaukee, WI to be delivered to Portland OR. The weather turned to freezing rain as I left Milwaukee, and it was all downhill from there.

This was a couple of days before Christmas and people just had to go to grandmother's house despite the horrible conditions. The cars would cluster together in little groups. I'd hang back a quarter mile. Somebody in the cluster would f*ck up and cars would be going in all directions except down the roadway. By the time I got there they would all be safely parked in snow drifts.

I finally had to shut down for a day in Columbus MT because I-90 was closed. Continuing on, a section of I-84 outside of Portland was closed to passenger cars since they couldn't cope with the deep ruts, but they tried. More work for the wreckers.

Yeah, I drove despite it all. It was my job. Oh, there is a rumor in conditions like heavy fog you should follow a truck because the driver can see where they're going. They can't, but they figure unless they hit another truck they'll just roll over little obstacles.

Reply to
rbowman

I really should have one of those. 'He would have survived the crash except for getting hit in the head by a pair of snowshoes going 60 mph.'

Reply to
rbowman

Why worry about what will probably never happen?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Dunno why you're laughing, as I just said they work fine. I scoff at the rest of you wasting money on oil changes.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Trouble is we close ours when you could still cycle through it, nevermind drive. And some folk have those things called 4x4s....

Doesn't the force of snow falling from that height break the truck?

ROTFPMSL! Those don't deserve to be called cars.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Survival of the fittest / most common sense. Let them die.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Gendarmes love fines. I got charged €700 for operating a radar detector. I think they're privatized and entirely funded by fines. I should have refused to pay and asked to be taken to the British Embassy. I doubt the UK government would accept such a large traffic fine, especially as it's not illegal in the UK. How was I supposed to know of that law?

It's more fun with summer tyres. Just floor it and carve a path.

Makes me laugh when folk on this street spend hours shoveling snow, only to find it melts 2 days later. Just drive through it for f*ck's sake.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What are studs?

If you're just changing wheels, shouldn't that be more like 5 minutes per wheel?

Is that a place you go to become exhausted?

I determine the pressure in my tyres by looking at them. Why have we forgotten how to do this? Just another gimmic to make cars cost even more.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I was at the garage and overheard a woman getting a new Volvo wheel because it was cracked. A single wheel cost her £200.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Mine is part of the standard equipment for the car, although the load tie down system in the back was an optional extra.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Car parts make wonderful furniture:

Commander Kinsey

But there will be a lot of noise as she loses her balance and careers into the TV, which is now smashed on the floor.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I tire of your misspelling.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Both countries have a low population density, there's no need to live where you don't have room for 4 tyres.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Volvo says it all. Mine are generics and are drilled for both 4x100 and

4.114.3. I don't know if it's Amazon but a generic steel wheel that goes for 80 USD is listed at about £150. I looked at the current exchange rate and the pound isn't that far into the toilet yet.
Reply to
rbowman

Says someone who lives in a place that considers 2cm of snow a blizzard...

Reply to
rbowman

Ah, yes, 4x4s. Use 2WD until you are hopelessly stuck and engage 4WD. Realize you're still hopelessly stuck.

Apparently not. I've never caught the act.

Reply to
rbowman