Snow gates in Scotland (2023 Update)

Some areas do have cops checking; others just fine the hell out of you if they have to retrieve you.

I usually put the studded tires on over Thanksgiving weekend. (4th Thursday of November). This year I was two weeks early since it snowed and didn't appear like it was going to melt off. They'll come off in March, depending on the weather.

Reply to
rbowman

My studs are mounted on their own wheels. It takes me 45 minutes at the outside to change them out. The exercise is more enjoyable than hanging out at the tire center.

The only drawback is the wheels don't have pressure sensors so the light will be on most of the time. It isn't bad when it just stays on but sometimes it flashes for a few minutes.

Reply to
rbowman

I bought a new set of alloy wheels. iirc they were about $100 each, not much more expensive than steel. However the junk yards are full of generic Japanese 4 bolt wheels.

I don't.

Reply to
rbowman

Stack them, throw a tablecloth over them, and call it an end table.

Reply to
rbowman

Great minds...

Reply to
rbowman

rbowman

so umur

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

first...didn't want to snip

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

I though 'here' might be somewhere like that. I like the avalanche howitzer.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

The pics look similar to what I saw in the newspaper when I lived in Montana. Going-to-the-Sun highway, in Glacier Nat Park, would sometimes get up to 90 feet of snow. Sometimes it would take until June or July to get it fully open.

Jim Joyce

WTF? A town centre? People still use those? A few folk still go shopping at supermarkets, but anything else you just order online. More choice of models and prices, comfort of your own home, delivered to you, cheaper, .... As for supermarkets, Tesco will deliver to your door for only £1.50, so after you've deducted the petrol you haven't used, it costs nothing. Plus out of stock items mean you get more expensive ones for free! In store you'd have to pay the extra.

Maybe in the official specs, but if you were to ask me how big the back of my car was, I'd tell you the length first (as that changes the most between cars), then the width and height. Basically you might want to know if I could fit a fridge freezer inside it etc. Litres is utterly meaningless, because one car could be higher but not longer, so the appliance still wouldn't fit. Litres is only important if you're putting lots of small things in it. And do they measure right up to the roof? Some OCD folk don't like not being able to see through the back window. And if the things you're putting in are small, piling it to the roof could make them all lurch into the front seats when you brake, causing some stuff to get broken. Basically litres isn't enough information.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If the snow was that bad why close the road? The driver of each car wouldn't attempt it. LET US MAKE OUR OWN DECISIONS. It's high time the government stopped treating us like schoolchildren.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They close the gates in Scotland because 1-2cm is predicted to fall overnight, without a significant wind. It's as though they think snow is radioactive or something.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Which is what I needed when I bought this car. Most stuff I needed to move was in boxes 20cm x 20cm x 30cm. We had a long wheelbase, high roof van for moving larger stuff. I still have a box trailer I can stick on the back of my car, with a load space large enough for a couple of sofas, with room to spare.

That is why it comes with a load restraint net that fits behind the front seats.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

That's a big trailer. I once balanced a sofa and a chair on a small trailer. Probably wasn't legal going along the motorway like that. At one point people stopped overtaking me, I looked in the mirror to find it was hanging off the side.

Ooooh Mr Safety 2022!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I once balanced a sofa and a chair on a small

Reply to
Colin Bignell

There must be a tyre that can work all year round.

Yourself? Ugh. Without making a mess?

I've never changed or asked a garage to change oil. I've had cars last 100K miles on the same oil (that's 50K to 150K I never buy new). Oil changes just aren't needed. If the oil was no good, the warning light would come on.

Lesbian couple?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's my car I'll be dangerous if I want.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Then use the narrow ones in summer.

Are you so unobservant you can't see when a tyre's flat?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

titter titter

Reply to