OT: Simple maths question

e:

ote:

alth-pain-se...

Why do you truncate links? It should have x-348198 on the end, I had to= google it.

And from your own link: "They feel hot and cold temperature changes faster and with greater inte= nsity than those with other hair colors." "Unfortunately, redheads are nearly twice as likely to develop Parkinson= =E2=80=99s disease when compared to those with darker hair."

And we all know they sunburn more easily.

-- =

Researchers have recently unearthed the text of the first transcontinent= al telegraph message. Reportedly, it reads ENLARGE YOUR MALE MEMBER STOP GUARANTEED RESULTS STOP ...

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

What I said in spades.

We know your wines are shit.

No I don't.

That's why I brew and distil my own and to get a much better result than with the commercial shit.

Doesn't happen with me.

I never get one.

That's because of your ear to ear dog shit.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You do if they cut it in half with cheese wire: your left brain doesn't know what your right brain is doing.

Reply to
Max Demian

Certainly applies to the knock-off hubs found on old sports cars with wire wheels - right-hand threads on the left side of the vehicle, and left-hand threads on the vehicle's right side - but then those might rub against kerbs or banks.

Reply to
Max Demian

I've got tyres guaranteed against accidental kerb rubbing :-)

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I don't think it would know anything as it would cease to function. The brain is one whole unit. Slicing it in half renders the whole thing inert.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I don't need to know precisely how much I weigh to the nearest pound. It goes up and down as I eat and go to the toilet. I know my weight in stones, or half stones, nothing more precise than that.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Only because you're used to it. Younger folk find it easier to estimate metric units.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Those plods are off the scale.

Reply to
rbowman

It might have something to do with the molding. The first step is to injection mold something that looks like a test tube with the screw top called a preform. The preform is then heated, clamped by the finish (the screwtop) and blown into a 2 piece mold. I'm thinking the bottom design might have something to do with ejecting the part from the mold.

I was never involved with bottles but with thermoset molding designing the part so you can get it out of the mold was a factor. worst case the mold would have to have sliding parts that were retracted before ejecting the part. That got expensive and it was something else to go wrong.

It was a bad day with a new mold when the press opened, the ejector cylinder groaned and farted, but nothing happened.

Reply to
rbowman

Yeah. I guess it's SOP when you're clearing an area with an active shooter. In this case the shooter was long gone and down at McDonald's getting a little snack.

Reply to
rbowman

There are drams, or drachms if you're a Brit. Talk about archaic; the Greeks called it a drachma. Scots should know about wee drams of booze.

Then there are grains. Supposedly that goes back to the weight of a grain of wheat. I use that one. For whatever warped reason bullets, gunpowder, and archery stuff is measure in grains. In fact, I spent part of last evening gluing 125 grain field points on some arrows. A grain is about 65 milligrams but I have no reason to convert back and forth. I just use my grain scales.

Reply to
rbowman

The pop psych 'left brain' stuff is bullshit but there are right and left hemispheres. They don't necessarily have to be connected as shown in the OEM diagrams:

For trivia, there is an X shaped structure called the optic chiasm where half of the optic nerve fibers of each eye cross over to the other hemisphere. It's part of the depth perception process.

I once interviewed with a post-doc who needed a software guy to support her experimentation with rabbits, messing with their optic nerves to try to figure out how it all worked. I sometimes wonder how life would have been had I accepted. She said I'd be listed as a co-author on her research but I was more concerned at the time with base matters like making money. Academic work is fascinating and pays for shit.

Reply to
rbowman

No, follow the link I posted. Slicing it in half is an accepted treatment for serious epilepsy. There's still a few peripheral connections but the main pathway is gone.

Gage started a trend of experimentation of just how much you can screw a brain up before it doesn't work anymore. The answer is a lot.

Prefrontal lobotomies were once in vogue. Basically the doctor stuck an icepick into the brain via the eye socket and waved it around. q.v. 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'.

Reply to
rbowman

That's why saner minds think the entire NEA staff should be submerged in a vat of urine. The left, otoh, loves that sort of stuff. You might say there is a little cultural divide in the US.

In related news, some resourceful citizen was on her way to a drug test for a job. She stopped at a convenience store and tried to warm up a bottle of urine in a microwave. She bolted when it exploded, leaving the piss dripping out of the microwave onto the floor. The conjecture was the urine was from a drug free individual and she was trying to get it up to body temperature so she could swap it out at the drug test.

I don't think she got the job.

Reply to
rbowman

Unfortunately. Some almost look presentable but then you get the girls with very pale complexions and orange hair. I have no idea why but they remind me of sheep. Maybe there was some DNA transfer over those long centuries of highland sheep shagging.

Reply to
rbowman

Unless I'm reading the attributions wrong, Bod is one of yours. He/she/it is one of yours and is also in my trash filter for he/she/its constant bitching about Trump.

Reply to
rbowman

Hang on, where are your memories stored? Wouldn't this be like deleting half the information you hold? Or is it duplicated? People would forget how to read, write, speak, walk, and half their knowledge would be gone.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Yes I read that part. But I don't understand why the memories aren't de= leted. Maybe they are? Improving your cognitive abilities - you could = still have forgotten a lot of information. Your memories have to be som= ewhere in your brain. Unless it's done like some kind of RAID array, re= moving half the brain should delete half the memories. Or are they all = stored in the other side to the part they remove?

-- =

Riots in Birmingham last month caused over =A31 million worth of improve= ments.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

That wouldn't work with kids in Scotland, they'd all be doing the finger to, or throwing things at, the police officers. The kids all know we have over the top kid protection laws, so they think they're invincible. Beat the f*ck out of an adult, you can't get done for it, you just say they started it and you were defending yourself. The f****it judge will always side with the kid. They aren't scared of teachers, but when I worked at a school I was a technician, and once I'd explained I wasn't covered by the same laws of assault, they respected me more than the teachers :-)

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife