OT: Simple maths question

Better to be deputies than police mechanics. I bought a Harley at a police auction and it was horrible to see what those ham-handed animals could do to a bike left in their care.

Reply to
rbowman

That's hardly enough for a decent fry-up.

Reply to
rbowman

I don't know about the arrow part. Anybody with a 36" draw length is one big mother. I've got long arms and draw about 31".

We've got that weirdness in spades. The Public Land Survey System breaks the land up into townships, which are six miles on a side and have 36 sections, 1 mile on the side. This has nothing to do with towns. There are Principal Meridians, which is where ranges come in. Township 3 North, Range 4 West designates how far the township is from the meridians. The meridians don't necessarily line up nicely so there are discontinuities.

Back to the sections, which are 640 acres. They were often parceled out in quarter sections of 160 acres. Further subdivision is where the 'lower forty' or 'back forty' comes in.

Since there are 80 chains in a mile, a quarter section is 40 x 40 chains, or 1600 square chains which is convenient since an acre is 10 square chains and the math come out right. You can convert it to furlongs or rods if that turns you on.

The wildland fire guys still use chains.

Thank you all very much....

Reply to
rbowman

Coming from an era when a K&E slide rule with a magnifying cursor was high tech Engineering 101 stressed keeping a rudimentary grasp on reality. Being off by a power or two of ten was a worse sin than simply misreading a division on the slipstick. Those are the sort of errors that make bridges go boom.

Reply to
rbowman

As does silicone. Nothing like grabbing a skin covered rock. That's a consensual grab, of course.

Reply to
rbowman

Well, a Peckerwood at least...

Reply to
rbowman

A fine and a night's lodging. Damn Canucks have no sense of humor.

Maybe, but this is the US. There are Irish pubs but if there are English pubs I never ran into one. About the only attempt at faux British atmosphere was Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips and there is only a handful left. The British Invasion was fine as far as rock music went, but British food or ale was a hard sell.

I can't understand why the microbreweries are so into IPAs these days. As I understand it they came about when you put enough hops in the ale so it wouldn't rot on its way to India, not to make something worth drinking.

It's like retsina. Supposedly the Greeks put resin in the wine so the Romans wouldn't drink it all and then they developed a taste for it.

Reply to
rbowman

Throw in an olive, wave a bottle of Vermouth at it, and you're good to go. I used to prefer grenadine. It killed the taste. Sort of.

Reply to
rbowman

That mangles the real story.

Rod Speed

Used to quite enjoy them years ago when it actually was a song contest.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The whole thing with hops was a mangling:

Gruit had a number of psychoactive herbs to spice it up. Hops are a sedative and anaphrodisiac, a perfect fit for the 21st century. It's hard to work up a good berserk when you're sedated on cheap IPA.

Reply to
rbowman
[snip]

Mine says: 16.9 fl oz (1.05 pt) 500 mL

IIRC, I haven't seen any 503 mL bottles, but maybe if some company wants th make theirs look better.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

IPA aint cheap.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Doesn't seem to happen. Although I had a Renault where the nuts would loosen (on both sides). I was told it was something to do with alloy nuts and steel wheels or the other way round. Two different metals grip worse? I also had a VW that tightened them itself, so it was impossible to undo them without losing a few tools in the process.

I like races where things get destroyed. Some form of car race with no no-contact rule.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Not grip worse, have different thermal expansion rates and loosen that way with temperature cycling.

Same process.

Reply to
Rod Speed

If they're Scotch Irish, why do they speak nothing like us? And if they're from Glasgow, yes that would make them thick as f*ck.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Our police are wasteful fuckwits. Cars confiscated from drug traders et= c get destroyed instead of sold. WTF? Waste of money, waste of resourc= es.

-- =

I thought the wife would be the ideal candidate for a new TV show. Turns out I got it all wrong and the program's called Fact Hunt.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

It would be more interesting if it was up to the crashed driver to get o= ut of the way. If he doesn't, well nevermind.

-- =

Definition of a secretary: An office fixture that isn't permanent until it's been screwed on the bo= ss's desk.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

That would be 100 grammes. I don't know of anyone that light.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Well half of them are French.

Reply to