OT: Simple maths question

Do the cash trays have a place for them? That is one of the problems with the $2 bill in the US. Typically there are five bill slots, 1, 5,

10, 20, 50 theoretically. I've noticed many places where the clerks put 20's and larger under the tray so only three are in use. Maybe they figure the average stickup artist is too dumb to know the big bills are under the tray. At least in the Stop'n'Robs the clerk usually immediately stuffs the larger bills down a slot into a safe.
Reply to
rbowman

AFAIK the newer tills have them. And since the =A320 coin has been out = for years, they're probably all equipped now.

And if the worker doesn't know where they go, they'd soon have to work i= t out when someone hands them one. They're not THAT rare, I probably ge= t given 1 =A32 coin for every 10 =A31 coins.

-- =

Do not adjust your mind - the fault is with reality.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

It's never two neurons. The dendrites connect a neuron to many neurons, which in turn connect to even more. Some paths may eventually lead back to the original neuron, forming a very complex feedback loop.

I haven't kept up with the literature but the theory was a given path would store information but there is a lot of arm waving about how.

Reply to
rbowman

It sounds very disorganised, which I guess explains why some people are nuts. Nobody would ever design a computer to work in such a messy way.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

But that approach clearly does work better with concussion and strokes etc, and that's presumably why we evolved like that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Yeah, there's massive redundancy. A Sarah McLachlan cover of an old Joni Mitchell song 'River' was just playing. The line 'I wish I had a river I could skate away on' called up an image of a frozen river from decades ago. How the hell does that work?

One rough metaphor is the neurons form an equivalent of resonant circuits. 'river' and 'skate' start their own little resonant circuits that trigger other circuits with the same frequency. Don't take that too literally, but somehow an association triggers other similar patterns.

Then there is thought... I'm not a strict epiphenomenonalist but I do think much of our 'thought' process is a running commentary on what the brain is doing as verbalizations are triggered. It's a short step from there to down the Zen rabbit hole of no-mind.

Reply to
rbowman

Because our brains are not very precise. Anything remotely connected will trigger another memory. Have you ever tried thinking of anything in your past and deliberately thinking of something else connected to it? I can do it at about 2 memories per second. But after about 50 of them it drives me round the bend.

What amazes me is our brains are so amazing but they can't understand themselves. Surely something can understand something of it's own level?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Who knows. RPI's full name is Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and it is the oldest engineering university in the US, if not in the English speaking world if you take the narrow definition of 'technological university'. It wasn't until the '60s when it tried to reinvent itself as a 'technological university' rather than an engineering college. Like I said it's was mostly downhill from there.

The 'college' versus 'university' thing is a little cloudy in the US.

Reply to
rbowman

We have that too. Steven Fry (a comedian you might know) was the Dean (a figurehead) for the university I studied at. I remember him telling us that we were in a real university and not a college that had become a university because they had a big enough playground.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

In spades in Britain.

Reply to
Rod Speed

If you're taking a urine sample to your doctor for analysis the assumption is you aren't interested in cheating. If you're being drug tested the assumption is you're going to cheat.

When I was driving a truck there would be random drug tests. Well sort of random. The terminal manager always randomly selected me since she knew I was clean. You would go to the doctor's office and provide the sample. Some of them had sort of a lazy susan in the toilet. You would fill the bottle, put it on the turntable, and turn it around. The theory was the tech doing the test wouldn't know the person's identity so they couldn't whitewash their friends. The temperature of the sample would be measured and it had better be body temperature.

That was relatively civilized. I think for parole offices etc they watch you fill the bottle.

Yes, I have a microwave. I seldom do fast food.

Yes, convenience stores are typically more expensive even for items like a carton of milk or bottle of soda. Think 'convenience'; we likes convenient. Many convenience stores also sell gas. You fill up the car, take a piss, buy a sixpack, some lottery tickets, and a frozen burrito. Nuke it and you're good to go.

In other areas, possibly where the woman was, the natives aren't driving anyplace because they don't have cars and are too dumb to ride a bicycle. There are few fast food chains or grocery stores because most investors prefer not to place their establishments where they may get burned or looted. That leaves the Stop'n'Rob run by a Paki trying to work his way up the food chain. Everything costs more but they take EBT cards so it's all good.

Reply to
rbowman

No. The only time I have much use for mirrors is when I'm looking for ticks. The little bastards are out and about.

Reply to
rbowman

Then doesn't your wife go "ugh!" when she sees the pale skin in contrast to your tan?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Intelligent design, dontcha know.

Reply to
rbowman

I found when I was deeply immersed in neurophysiology and software I got a bit strange. Try reading 'Godel, Escher, and Bach'. It's rather like the quantum physicists who tend to go a bit nutty.

The Escher engraving of a hands drawing themselves sort of sums it up.

Reply to
rbowman

There are so many things like this which are strong evidence against there being a god, yet many continue to behave like 6 year olds waiting for santa claus.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I guess you create an enormous feedback loop when thinking about how you think about how you think.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I had one of those once a long time ago.

Reply to
rbowman

Au contraire. All higher education institutions in Britain are called "university", even if they were originally polytechnics, which were hardly more that further education colleges originally, though they were allowed to grant degrees. In the US people talk about "going to college" where we would say "going to uni(versity)". Most US higher education institutions care called so-and-so University, but others are called College. I don't think the ones called college are inferior, necessarily.

Reply to
Max Demian

We'll see...

The one Dave-the-sot cleans the dunnys in isnt. Same with Oxford and Cambridge too. Plenty of colleges there.

? though they were allowed to grant degrees.

Sure, but that's the dregs end.

And they also say "going to school" with those too.

Just as true of Britain.

Just as true of Britain.

Reply to
Rod Speed