OT: Simple maths question

American money is so complicated. In the UK we only have two denominations. Pounds and pence. A penny is 100th of a pound. Why don't you just say x dollars and y cents? What's all this dime shit? And pennies? You use cents don't you? What's a penny in the US?

You f*ck up weights of people too, instead of simply 10 stone, you say 140 pounds. Way too big a number.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Only Luddites still use cash.  Are you a Luddite?

Yah, we both need to switch to the SI metric system.

Reply to
Dev Null

Who are you trying to shit? You have 1p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 25p, and 50p coins. As I understand it the 25p coin is a nostalgic hangover of the shilling and as common as the US 50 cent piece. We stopped minting the

50 cent coin so while they are still legal tender they are so rare most people will keep them like a $2 bill.

As for pet names for the denominations, don't even go there. I never could figure out tanners, bobs, florins, quid, guineas, and all the rest of the stuff in British novels.

Reply to
rbowman

How about 20 stone, like the last Eurovision winner? You can really pick them. Will the UK participate after Brexit? Every contest needs a reliable loser.

Reply to
rbowman

No, we have 1p 2p 5p 10p 20p 50p £1 and £2 coins today.

25p coins are no longer minted and were commemorative only. Also £5, £10, £20, £50 and £100 coins have been minted and are still legal tender..

As I understand it the 25p coin is a nostalgic hangover of the

25p is five shillings or a 'crown' except that is also £5. 25p coins are no longer minted and were commemorative only. Also £5 coins.

Well that's because you area thick yankee.

we had farthings, halfpennies, pennies, thruppeny bits, sixpence (tanner), shilling (bob), two shilling (florin) 2/6d (half crown) and

21 shillings (guinea) ten bob notes, and pound notes (a quid) when I were a boy.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would be content dying never having heard another Eurovision song contest.

It should have died along with the other EBU funded propganda show 'Jeux sans frontières' where nations competed to see which could humiliate itself the most this reinforcing the belief that the EU is actually better than nationality.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Eurovision has nothing to do with the EU.

Reply to
charles

Colloquially also known as a dollar, a bit of slang from the old days before 1967 when £1 = $4

Reply to
Tim Streater

I've never even seen one never mind another.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Sadly only preipherally via the EBU. So it smees the dreary ghastlimness of it will not go with Brexit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cash is the only way for me to pay a person money. A shop, sure they have card readers. But do you carry one with you? If I came round your house to buy your car, would you take a credit card? Would either of us wish to pay the 3% fee charged by the bank?

Maybe, although it's difficult when you're used to one measurement. Imagine all the speed limit signs saying much higher numbers, I think we'd all think we were allowed to drive faster. Apparently Brits can occasionally use that as an excuse when caught speeding in France.

The UK is very slowly going metric. We normally now use C for temperature, and weights and measures for posting things, buying food and drink are all metric. But distances and speed on roads are stuck with miles.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Fortunately I'm in the same boat. I've seen photos of the Israeli who looks like she was beaten with an ugly stick but no sound clips. ABBA won once didn't it? That says it all.

Reply to
rbowman

The only clear picture I had was if you took the King's shilling you were screwed.

Reply to
rbowman
[snip]

Trying to avoid using non-integers (as in 9.5 stone)? I have no problem with non-integers.

BTW, I do think the Celsius temperature scale is more reasonable.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Each system has ONE denomination. The other word (cents or pence) indicates hundredths of that denomination. Saying both is a way to avoid recognizing that some numbers are not integers.

BTW, I've gotten about a dozen 50-cent pieces (and a few 2-dollar bills) is requests from charities.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Bullshit. I mostly do it using paypal but can also pay anyone with a mobile number if they don't have paypal.

Don't need one.

Yes, with paypal.

No fee with paypal with transfers between bank accounts and no fee with the pay to mobile number either.

I do it quite a bit with the neighbours kid who uses me as his personal banker. He mostly shows up with cash and I put that on his paypal account so he can buy stuff online, but quite a bit of the time it's the reverse, he has cash in his paypal account and needs physical cash to buy something in a local shop etc.

The bugger now has a proper bank account and an iphone but is too lazy to get another fee free account with another bank that can do ApplePay so he could do it all himself with buying stuff in a physical shop locally. I don't care because it avoids me getting cash out myself for garage sale transactions.

Only for the brain dead.

Different with personal weights.

We arent.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Saying that you thought the sign meant 90 mph doesn't get you any slack in Canada. You get adept at doing the conversion and recognizing an underpass marked for 4.5 meters was okay.

I never did get the dual conversion of liters to gallons and CAD$ to US$ down and just assumed I was getting screwed when I filled up. It was better when they did Imperial gallons and you figured you were getting a bonus.

Reply to
rbowman

In virtually all years I'd agree totally, but a few years back the Finnish hard rock/heavy metal group Lordi won it.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

There is justice in the world...

rbowman

Thanks for confirming you actually live in the middle of the last century.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)