OT: If anyone is looking for a new smartphone and/or carrier....

I just moved to Boost Mobile a couple weeks ago. Got a ZTE Max XL no contract phone for $100. This is new model only out for about a month now. 6" screen, (it's big), 16 gig ROM, 2 gig RAM, huge 4000mah battery. Very happy with it, great screen, very snappy performance with LTE. Boost is on the Sprint network for coverage. I'm on the 3 gig data plan for $30/month. Now they are having another discount of $20, so you can get this phone for just $80 online. Just thought I'd let you know in case anyone is looking.

Another thing I learned in all this is that most of the "no contract" phones, if you buy one from the carrier, the phone is locked to that carrier for some period of time. Typically you have to run up X in billings or be on their no contract plan for a year, before they will unlock it so you can take it to another carrier. Also, while the concept of buying an unlocked phone sounds great, most carriers have limited the specific phones that they will accept on their network. So, you could buy an unlocked phone, which while technically capable of working on a specific carrier's network, ie it's GSM, meets all the tech needs, that carrier still can and often does refuse to allow you to bring it. In other words, there are still plenty of gotchas in the land of no contract phones.

Reply to
trader_4

Does this phone come with a bunch of useless apps that clutter up the screen, take up memory and prevent you from removing them? Verizon did that to me on my $280 smartphone.

Reply to
Abused Customer

een, take up memory and prevent you from removing them? Verizon did that to me on my $280 smartphone.

Yes, like just about all phones bought from one of the typical carriers it has some bloatware. Amazon, Facebook, Walgreen's apps for example. You can remove all of them from the screen, they don't bug you, but most can't be r emoved from taking up their space on the phone. There are other apps, like to access your account, voicemail, etc too. All in of the 16gb of flash, ab out half is available.

Reply to
trader_4

The Sprint Network would eliminate Boost from my list. Sprint's coverage in Nebraska is mostly along I 80. I ended up with Page Plus. It runs off Verizon. My flip phone works for texting and talking. That's enough for me personally. Our work phones are Verizon. Smart phones sure are handy. Management can mark the locations of our jobs. We enter our personal time sheet information on them. And we use them to track time and parts for our work orders. The camera function is handy. Trying to describe a problem to someone leaves a lot to be desired sometimes. Sending a picture helps.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Ok, thanks!

Reply to