Re: Wifi calling on payge sim and a cheap phone?

Umm.. They will still find a way to bump up the monthly charge:-(
Vodafone (because they have a reasonable signal strength. Even Madeira!) Fixed price sim only contract around ?8.50/month. Unlimited texts and 300minutes free calls with 250MB data plus global roaming has now crept up to ?12.50 under various subterfuges.
Discontinued discount, extra data charge (I don't use data!) etc.
--
Tim Lamb

Well I will be using data. I have a feeling though that the problem at the moment is that they have yet to increase the net capacity and hence they are going to make the users pay for the upgrade despite them making money hand over fist for years, which presumably went into various pockets not the new kit. I think there needs to be some enforceable limit on profit made over a long period somehow or eventually they will all form cartels and kill the goose. its like this net Neutrality argument. The isps and those who own the networks feel they need to upgrade capacity, but some users are watching net flicks and others are simply looking at email and doing a bit of radio listening etc. So they should be able to charge the likes of broadcasters according to the usage of the network. The snag is that outfits like the bbc will also need to pay, which will I think mean one of two things. Either the catch up sites will all have to get your dosh, or your isp will charge you for data usage over a given period no matter how fast your connection is, and maybe block packets from streaming tv services if you are not willing to pay. In the end somebody has to invest in the infrastructure to support ever growing bandwidth needs, and in the end its going to be us!
Brian
--
----- -

In theory. But in practice I went from unlimited adsl2+, getting 8/1 to unlimited 100/40 fttn getting 114/44, for 10% less per month.

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 09:30:56 +0000, The Natural Philosopher

Don't think so, I haven't put any money on my 3 PAYG for about 10 months now and it is still showing credit, just make at least one connection via the network rather than WifI every so often to keep it alive . I listen to an available online only radio station in the car for a while for that purpose.
The lack of expiry and the availability of the 3 in touch app was why I made the switch from networks that did expire.
At some point the 3 in Touch app became obsolete after either a phone or 3 update. I don't who, it just happened and Wifi calling took over. That was on I phone 5.
G.Harman
On 08/01/18 10:23, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Wifi calling seems to wotk on newish phones - Apples post 5 I think and android sansung galaxy S5/6 eand A7 IIRC and a couple of LG ones.
Ots looking like Three have the best deal
I can get an unlocked s6 for around £170...

its shoes.

I only recently changed my S3 to an S8 so an S6 should be an abundantly capable phone.
On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 12:20:29 +0000, The Natural Philosopher

Not sure if you intend to source any phone via 3 or obtain one elsewhere but when I recently went looking for a dead cheapy non smart phone (non wifi ) for mother* the chap in the 3 shop told me that all the phones they supply are now done so unlocked, so if circumstances change it is no hassle to put another operators SIM in with no bother about getting unlock codes etc.
* Her former orange DORO can not be unlocked by anyone apparently, EE staff gave up. "we would have sent a text telling her we were going to disconnect for lack of use". "She moved to an area where there was no reception from you (EE) after you took over Orange and rationlised transmitters, she could not use the phone or recieve any such text. Can she get her credit back? No she has left it too long. Stuff EE then, Oh for the days that if Orange staff messed about you could ring Hans Snook at his desk if you rose early like he did,if he didn't answer his secretery would take note.
G.Harman
writes

Hopeless pricing. We get unlimited calls and texts to any landline or mobile in the country and 1GB of data for just $10/month.
Higher price for more data.

Now advertising with 2gb data ?8 per month.
--
bert

I'll bet that is restricted to new subscribers..
--
Tim Lamb