WiFi Calling.

To clear up any confusion, I did some reaarch

WiFi Calling will activate on phines that support it and mobile networks that support it when (a) there is an adequate wifi signal (b) the mobile signal strength drops below a given level.

My phone (galaxy A3) (and others to judge by the research) tends to hang on to the mobile signal rather than use the wifi when it can. When the signal drops the phone will open UDP connections to ports 500 and 4500 - these can be seen as NAT sessions on my router - and a 'wifi calling' icon should appear in the phones notfication area depending on the phone and the version of android etc.

So long as these NAT sessions are open the phone can send and receive calls and SMS messages over the internet.

The other thing I learnt from the research is the tech support at most mobile phone companies is worse thanh used toilet paper.

Nearly all wifi calling problems were solved on the fira by other users, not tech support personnel

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

(c) When the SIM provisioning allows it

previously my phone was on Tesco (O2 mvno) and I couldn't even enable wifi calling, now it's on Virgin (EE mvno) and I can enable it, but it still won't work as virgin don't support it.

Also IP protocol 50 (ESP, neither TCP or UDP) those are the same three connections that femtocells use to create IPSEC tunnels back to the provider.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I did say "on phones that support it and mobile networks that support it when "

It would be strange if they used different...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep, but some people seem to think wifi calling uses SIP+RTP because android phones can do that as well if you configure a VoIP provider.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I forgot to say that AFAIK in the UK only EE/BT ID moble O2 Sky and vodafone support it on plan, amd only 3 Mobile on PAYG and plan.

has a lot more info

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My Pixel 3a states "WiFi preferred" under the setting for switching WiFi calling on or off. It does seem to select WiFi whenever it reasonably can be expected to. I use EE SIM-only.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

I can only guarantee wifi calling here by going into airplane mode and re-enabling wifi. Otherwise it drops in and out of 3G

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher expressed precisely :

My Iphone supports it, but is there any point in my turning it on??

I have fibre wifi at home, which my Iphone is connected to. I use a Plusnet (EE) for my mobile, on a 3Gb, unlimited calls, unlimited texts contact and a good EE signal at home.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Depends

Well if you turn it on it will work

Its probably not useful at your home, but it IS useful for foreign travel where e.g. you have acess to airport or hotel wifi, but dont want to incur roaming charges. Go 'airplane mode' and turn wifi on.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:qhrirv$cks$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Depends on how often you don't have an adequate mobile signal.

Reply to
Swer

From what I read on the EE web page, it doesn't work when roaming.. Any idea why?

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Perhaps they don't want it to work. Outside the EU they must make a lot of money from call charges.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

To make you spend more money?