How can I improve my cellular or WiFi signal (with and without Internet)?

How have you improved your cellular or WiFi signal (with and without Internet) at home and while away from home connecting to hotspots?
Q: With just a phone on foot or in a car, how can I increase my WiFi or cellular signal strength? A: I don't think there is a good solution that is viable, but you can strap the phone to a parabolic antenna which isn't practical in most cases.
Q: Is there a wired transceiver I can plug into my phone? A: Nobody seems to be aware of one (they exist for computers but not for phones).
Q: With just a phone & laptop (but no Internet at home) how can I connect to a hotspot that is just a kilometer or two away? A: Buy a 2.4GHz 802.11 transceiver that plugs into the laptop and is powered either by the laptop or by an external power supply.
Q: With just a phone & laptop (but no Internet at home) how can I connect to a hotspot that is more than just a kilometer or two away? A: Buy a 2.4GHz 802.11 transceiver that is powered by a POE (power over ethernet) and place it to receive the cellular signal by LOS (line of sight) & set the transceiver up as a router to hand out DHCP addresses. Then plug the one RJ45 outlet on the transceiver to as many laptops as you like.
Q: At home, how do I increase my phone's cellular signal? A: If you have Internet coming to your WiFi router, you can substitute for low cellular signal by using WiFi calling if your carrier and phone allow it. Some carriers even give you a wifi-calling-optimized router for free.
Q: What's another way to increase my phone's cellular signal at home? A: You can ask your carrier to send you a signal booster.
Q: What's another way to increase my phone's cellular signal at home? A: You can ask your carrier to send you a small home tower which connects to your home router.
Q: At home, how do I increase my WiFi signal to cover the whole house? A: Lots (and lots) of ways, so we have to take them one by one.
1) Wire a router output (add a switch if needed) to your desired location 2) Add a more directional antenna (cantenna or otherwise) to your router 3) Buy a new SOHO router that has 802.11 ac and 5GHZ 4) Add a wired SOHO router to the existing router (aka a wired extender) 5) Add a wireless repeater to the existing router 6) Add a wired transceiver with a directional antenna (usually parabolic) to the existing router. 7) ?
How have you improved your cellular or WiFi signal (with and without Internet) at home and while away from home connecting to hotspots?
On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 01:23:47 -0700, in < AL wrote:\

The situation is one-sided because all name brand home routers are poo. (
http://youtu.be/Zw0TKDuv_g4

http://youtu.be/Zw0TKDuv_g4
).
Your neighbor's $75 name brand router suffers from three faults. [a] weak power output (17.5 dBm) [b] what little power there is is wasted in omni directions (1.5dBi) [c] low sensitivity (-80 dBm) (http://superuser.com/questions/298290/wireless-router-signal-strength-stats )
You could easily buy a $75 radio with these three benefits. [a] strong power output (27 dBm) [b] concentrated in one direction (30 dBm) [c] high sensitivity (-95 dBm) (http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/rocketm/RocketM_DS.pdf )
The eirp of the neighbor's $75 name brand router is likely about 19 dBm (17.5 dBm in power output plus 1.5dBi in antenna gain) or about 80 milliwatts (which is poo).
The eirp of a good $75 radio can easily be 36dBm or 4 watts (where the antenna alone can easily give you 30dBi (1 watt) and the transmitter itself can easily generate 27 dBm (1/2 watt) so you're really only limited by the FCC legal limit. (http://wiki.robotz.com/index.php/FCC_Regulations_on_WiFihttp://wiki.robotz.com/index.php/FCC_Regulations_on_WiFi )
Even that FCC legal limit is only for one access point, so, you can put five of them in series or parallel your house if you wanted to and it would be perfectly legal.
The net of all this is that typical name brand home routers are poo. If you want to connect to them, it will be a one sided connection where your antenna gain and receiver sensitivity will count far more than your transmit power will.