Wifi Projector

The projector of our local philosophy group has been smashed.

The leads though frequently caused near-accidents, so it was thought a wireless-based replacement might be a good idea.

Wifi enabled projectors are available but the problem is how to link them to the laptop that is intended to drive it if we have no hub?

Can we turn the laptop unto a wifi hub for this purpose?

Reply to
pinnerite

Ask around anybody who has changed ISP will probably have a spare modem/router, these things tend to be handed without a second thought by ISPs. If all you need it for is to communicate between devices you do not even have to be connected to the Internet.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Unless you can replace the power lead with "wireless power", is it worth worrying too much about the data lead?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In a typical setup the data lead has to travel from the podium at the front of the room to the projector near the back, while the power lead can plug into the back wall or a flush floor socket.

Reply to
Rob Morley

How big is the image projected? I'd have thought a large screen tv might have been better these days. Projectors eat tubes and they are incresingly hard to get, and the lcd ones apparently have other issues due to heat. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"Brian Gaff" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:q1qpuc$g6b$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Get a big cheap TV and wall mount it. Perhaps get two / three, etc

Reply to
DerbyBorn

How can you be sure about that? ;-/

J^n

Reply to
jkn

Unless it is battery powered there are always going to be power leads. You need to pay more attention to health and safety trip hazards.

Cheapest simple option is probably a Mifi device.

You might be able to but it involves error prone incantations.

And you will have to do this to each laptop you want to connect with the projector - more of a challenge might be getting the projector to work.

I used to do it in the bad old days with a physical ethernet cross over cable kept for the purpose which was purple to avoid confusion.

Reply to
Martin Brown

We hire a room, arrive by car, put out the chairs and a few tables, set up the folding projection screen mount the project about two to three metres from the 1.6 metre (diag) screen with power and data laying on the floor between close -packed seats.

The prospect of squeezing a large screen TV in and out of a family car once each week does not fill me with enthusiasm.

Just took delivery of some lay-flat trunking before the old projector was knocked over. A new "wire-less" projector with a longer throw would mean it could be further back from the screen (and the viewers) and mounted on a firm table rather the stand hitherto employed.

Similarly, a spare wireless router would be a good idea but it means finding a suitable location, power to it etc.

I wondered if the laptop with a plug in aerial could be programmed to link with a wifi enabled projector.

It looks like a should try elsewhere.

Thanks anyway,

Regards, Alan

Reply to
pinnerite
<snip>

I thought any WiFi enabled laptop could become it's own Wireless peer-to-peer network for direct connection as such?

Not sure what options are available in Wireless projector but this might indicate if it's possible.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Although in a wired situation you can connect individual devices with a cross over network lead and get them to communicate. Once you add more devices using a hub you will not get any communication without a router.

In a WiFi network even with only two devices you need a router, hence why I said try and source a redundant modem since most supplied by ISPs have a router incorporated, that modem does not need to be linked to the Internet hence no need to connect to a phone socket. The only thing you have to provide is a mains supply, presumably you provide a mains supply for the laptop, just use a multi socket extension socket plug the modem/router into that or any convenient socket in the room.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Not really an option if you are only using a room once a week as the OP message suggested. A projector, as dated a technology as it may be, is very portable, and only required a wall to project onto.

Reply to
JoeJoe

An "ad-hoc" network or connection. Certainly can with Android devices. Wether you can kick a windows laptop into such a mode I don't know.

That just needs to act as it would when connected to an access point. Provided the laptop is emulating an access point on it's WiFi it should "just work"...

I'm more inclined to say that if the projector can get knocked over or off then one needs to sort that out. That's what gaffer tape and cable matting are for. If the stand is one of those small base area, lightweight, tall things it's inherently unstable, that's what sand bags are for.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The link I included suggested you could (and how to do it) Dave. ;-)

Agreed and I was thinking that after hitting send. ;-)

That's always the hope!

I think it's more like (we have since learned that) it's being 'pulled over' because of the data connection (not the power), not being knocked over directly.

Agreed. Many of my discos wouldn't have been as safe / varied without it!

I think the OP suggested 'everything' has to be transported there and away each time but there may be somewhere a sandbag could be stored on-site (it's not a fire risk or likely to get stolen). ;-)

If the projector is positioned between chairs then 'it' may not be an issue in and of itself.

I used to drop cables vertically from the ceiling because at least they couldn't be tripped over but it maybe they don't have the luxury of cable length (or ease of accessing the ceiling / fittings) in this case.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

At my scientific club we use trip-resistant rubber trunking on the carpet, covering both the vga cable and mains to the projector from the speaker's laptop table at the front.

Reply to
Dave W

That's what longer cables are for.

Anything left on it's own will grow legs.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Or a phone as a wi fi hotspot somehow.

Reply to
FMurtz

Possibly a shorter throw to bring the projector closer to the screen and clear of the front line of the audience might be more appropriate. This would allow you to put both the laptop and projector on a standard table.

Position the laptop so the screen faces the lecturer (so they can see what is being projected rather than constantly turning to see the screen). It also minimises the problem of people walking around the projector when going to their seating. On a flimsy projector stand the risk of being knocked over is high, on a table much less so.

The more robust table along with no need to have any cable except the power to the table makes for a much more secure environment.

I've done hundreds of presentations with this configuration a normal table and have never had problems in any of the village halls, church halls, huts or whatever I've had to use. Setting the projector at table height also means it isn't blocking the view of any of the audience. All LCD/DLP projectors easily cope with keyhole correction so they can live below the centre line of the projector.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Lol, What were they thinking?

Reply to