POTS

Somebody was kind enough recently to post a link to a website about use of POTS. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark it so would appreciate it if somebody would put it up again.

My street now has fibre, not sure id it's live yet, so I need to think about 'phone service.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Do you really mean about POTS or is it more about life after POTS? If the latter rather a lot have been posted.

There's

And I posted these by way of more general background

Robin

If you wrote the wiki (or that part of it) then wow, and thank you very much :-)

It's Giganet who have laid the fibre to the village and they don't provide any form of 'phone service.

In these circumstances if I want a landline is that likely to be available via the Giganet fibre but with a different (landline) provider or would I need to keep my current Plusnet FTTC to get a 'phone service? i.e. will third party 'phone suppliers be able to provide a service over somebody else's fibre?

Thanks again!

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Not me 'guv! Main author was John Rumm with contributions from others.

Forget "landline". If you mean you want a landline number the mainstream option would be a separate VOIP provider. See what the Wiki says under "So what options do I have?" and also e.g.

Robin

You can use anybody's VOIP over anybody's fibre. Sooner or later you will be losing the FTTC POTS.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Then many thanks to John Rumm and those others :-)

OK, not landline - perhaps "wired"? Looks like I may be swapping my existing package with one supplier with 2 or more packages.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

As a matter of interest, the last time I tried voip back when it first was available, and using a dialler of the type you hold against the microphone, those were inherently poor at getting the dialled in numbers right, whereas copper always worked fine. Has this problem been sorted out in recent years? Why do I do it this way. simple the land line phone address book is not a spoken one, so cannot be used by a blind person, but a dialer with voice control can. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Depends where you want the wire to go! Sadly the router giganet offers does not have a VOIP port so you will need some hardware. Since giganet use CGNAT you may also need to order a Static IP address as CGNAT can break VOIP.

then you need a package. A&A seem the simplest. They also have a VPN service to by-pass the CGNAT at £2/month.....

Sorry if this is complex...

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Do you really need a land line service?

Virgin updated my POTS service to their VOIP in May. Sadly they never sent me the adapter needed and decided that *I* had decided to cancel the landline service. I didn't but they're just inept! Rather than have them muck about recovering the number and providing the right equipment I left the phone service cancelled which saves £25 a month.

I updated my mobile plan to infinite minutes and make most of my calls at home via Wifi calling as mobile reception can be unreliable in parts of the house but Wifi calling just works.

After spending more on a mobile plan I'm still £21.50 a month better off and I never get calls from Microsoft Technical Support or Bank Security :-)

Reply to
mm0fmf

Not got round to you get then! What about the Parcel texts etc.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

I just to to think it through :-)

I was five before we had a 'phone so my experience is no-phone and wired-phone. I do have a mobile and it's got a good package on it so perhaps as "mm0fmf" says down thread perhaps just use the mobile.

It does WiFi calling because the service is a bit wobbly here and I can also use it as a tethered hot spot (terminology may be completely wrong) so on the 2 or 3 occasions my broadband has been down I can use it for Internet access.

Will find ice pack for brain!!!

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Many thanks :-)

Good advice and may well be the way for me to go.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

I was used to always having a landline. At home from when I was tiny to last May in my 3rd own home. I'd thought about dumping it for sometime as Virgin's "landline" phone isn't cheap, either the rental or some call costs. The issue was I'd always had one and it didn't feel right to only have a mobile phone. I'd thought about going to VOIP with someone like Vonage if I dumped Virgin.

The change to 2FA (two factor authentication) on bank accounts etc. meant they all had my mobile number to send me texts to confirm login attempts so I had no real problems dumping the landline other than the fact I felt a little naked in only have a mobile phone. However, not only is there my mobile phone but my wife's as well. The other issue is I had 3 DECT handsets before, 2 downstairs at either end of the house and 1 in the bedroom. I refuse to carry my phone about the house all day so if someone rings and I don't hear it then I don't hear and end up ringing back. But as there are infinite minutes it's not really an issue.

The biggest problem then is accepting you don't really need a landline if you have a mobile. And as I said in the other thread, if you have Wifi calling then even less than stellar mobile coverage is not a problem. Once I'd accepted it was no longer essential, only having a mobile just became the new normal. My son (31) has never had a fixed line phone at his flats and now home. Likewise, most of my under 35 work colleagues just have a mobile. Landline desire does tend to be an indicator that you're getting on a bit ;-)

Reply to
mm0fmf

Or you don't see the need for (currently) the extra expense of FTTP. I was fine with 8Mb/s ADSL, and only moved to FTTC because it only cost another £5 a month, whereas FTTP was about £15 a month extra.

No children normally in the house, so not streaming multiple films simultaneously.

Reply to
Joe

There are several threads on this topic at the moment.

I have a Samsung S5 (less than £10 on ebay) supplying calls, texts and

70GByte via 4G for £9.95 per month.

So, bye-bye landline etc - and the data is faster than FTTC.

Nice to be able to watch HD Video without burps.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

Or you have potential callers who are "getting on a bit". My daughter's land line (mentioned earlier) is so that she can have a church business answering machine.

Reply to
charles

I've got a telegraph pole outside my house with nine neighbour's connected to it.

Does this change mean it will be removed?

How does the fibre get to my house?

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

In message <u90tls$pkf9$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Another Dave snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com writes

Probably by the same route.

Contractors for OpenReach installed some extra hardware a couple of years back on the pole outside my house, and a couple of the neighbours have already gone FTTP(*) with the fibres running from/between poles.

  • meanwhile OR tell me that it will be available here some time in the next 2.5 years.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Off that pole

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My fibre comes from the telephone pole across the road - As does my POTS

Reply to
charles