Large tub/tank to soak large pots - X-post

I have some large pots with shrubs, trees, etc.

I would like to be able to stand them in a container of water so that I can thoroughly soak them when required. Needs to be deep enough to come a reasonable distance up the post so water is likely to soak in quickly.

A yellow builders bucket is just too small; almost worked but then the corner of a square pot split it.

One obvious option is a water tank designed for the loft.

Another would be a kiddie paddling pool.

Main requirement is for a pot which is 16"x16" (40 cm x 40 cm).

Any budget friendly suggestions, please?

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David

I have one of these

It would be good for what you need.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Tool Station sell builders Flexy tubs

Try the Tool Station for Builders flexie tub

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Also consider a wetting agent and watering them from above. In order to get water into a dry pot I sometimes use a couple of drops of washing up liquid to a watering can of water. Possible not recommended for continual use

You can purchase horticultural wetting agents

Random example (possibly not the best product or price)

alan_m

Also farm suppliers. When my kids were small, I bought an animal feed/water container at a county show, it was (very) solid polythene, round, about 4 foot diameter and 1 foot deep. Not silly money. Served as a paddling pool for several years.

Reply to
newshound

Cat litter tray?

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I have had a plasterer's bath for about 20 years - sits propped behind the greenhouse when not in use. Have used it for a dozen different purposes, one of which might even have been mixing plaster. Invaluable, and fits your bill perfectly I'd have thought.

Cheers J.

Reply to
Another John

Interesting thought.

Our largest is 12 x 16 though, so too small.

Reply to
David

Thanks - something for feeding large hungry animals should probably have the capacity.

Now to find the nearest farm supplier.

Reply to
David

Intresting.

Looked it up at Travis Perkins and they want £40.

Probably find it cheaper elsewhere.

Reply to
David

Just noticed it is 41 cms wide so barely large enough.

I would prefer a bit of extra room.

Reply to
David

You couldn't fit a 40x40 cm pot in that, well not by my maths. You would need something at least 57 CM in dia.

Reply to
dennis

Yeah. Need to work from the diagonal.

Well spotted.

Reply to
David

Wooden frame with plastic sheet over it? I bought a couple of meters of

4m wide heavy-duty polythene sheet a while back for £5.40 inclusive of delivery, and used it with a couple of courses of bricks laid on the ground to make a tank for leak-testing a radiator. Not sure how durable it'd be long term, though.
Reply to
A_lurker

Kiddie paddling pool every time. cheap and replaceable. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Now looking for a fold up (not blow up) one and Argos has the ideal one but out of stock everywhere.

It may not be the best time of year to shop for a paddling pool.

Then again demand may ease later in the week when it cools down and starts raining.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Missed the OP, but it doesn't need to be a rigid container for what you want to do. A heavy duty refuse sack or an old compost bag will do, provided it's got no holes in it of course. Put the pot in the sack, loosely tie the neck around the stem of the shrub, and fill with water from a hose or a can etc.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

David formulated the question :

Old plastic dustbin, old wheelie bin, a rigid pond liner, dig a hole, line it with plastic and fill with water.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Most budget friendly: a rubble bag. Budget friendly: extra large flexible builder's bucket But... are you sure you can lift the thing afterwards?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Salt content tends to kill plants.