Large biodegrade-able pots

Greetings,

I've done a brief internet search and cannot seem to find anything close to what I'm looking for, so I'm asking for some help locating biodegradable pots.

I frequent a nursery in Michigan that uses these guys; they are various sizes and appear to be made from some kind of heavy duty paper mache or pressed fiber of some kind. These are NOT the dinky little peat pots used for starting seeds - these guys are heavy duty appearing, but are very light, wrinkledy surface, and they go into the ground and slowly decay into hummus. The Michigan nursery uses them for hostas. The most info I can get from the nursery is they are mail-ordered.

So my dilemma - I have a couple dozen plum or cherry trees living in one of my raised beds, courtesy of an experiment last year (tossed seed and skins onto compost bed), and I would like to shift them out before they get too much larger. The ideal thing would be to pot them up into these mythic pots and drop them elsewhere on the property. It takes

3-4 years for the pots to go, so I could move them again if needs must.

Does the description of this pot product ring any bells, and if so please point me in the right direction! Alternatives considered, of course, but I really do not want to use plastic when I "know" this other product is out there.. somewhere!

Many thanks!

Reply to
gonzo

William Wagner

Reply to
Elaine

A Google search with 383,000 hits is often just as useless as no Google search. The original poster has already indicated that he had "done a brief internet search." The search effort which you shared was even more brief. About 10 seconds effort to be precise.

-------------------

William Wagner wrote

Gideon

What size pots are you seeking? If you get pots which take "3-4 years" to decompose, then you'll need to get pots sufficiently oversized to allow reasonable growth of roots which will be held captive inside the containers. Plant roots have a fair amount of difficulty penetrating many "easily degradable" containers.

[...]

Well are you not sweet! First hit

William Wagner

If you consider that first link to be highly applicable, then include it in your original post, rather than the

383,000 hit Google link.

Now, regarding that first hit: What is the probability that the original poster is from Australia and will want to mess with your wonderful first lead: Enviroarc PO Box 9034 Scoresby, Vic 3179 Australia

The OP stated that he lives in Michigan. Would that be Michigan, Australia?

Does Enviroarc market in the USA?

Do they market directly to consumers?

Are their products intended for uses such as the OP stated, or is their design oriented more toward insuring that the items biodegrade in landfills?

Many question. No answers from you except a vague Google search result.

-----------------------

William Wagner wrote "Gide> A Google search with 383,000 hits is often just as useless as no

Well are you not sweet! First hit

Gideon

Why should I edit a list info?

The Info can be construded as useful for further searching.

Don't know don't care

See above

Biodegradable is Biodegradable.

Many questions with a few leads. Vague...get used to it. I used to do searching for a living. Premium results require premium expenditure unless you are lucky. I currently use groker as a front end to goggle as I no longer have a SCIFINDER account.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

(...)

If you do a search on commercial horticultural supplies, you will find leads. I know the guys at

and they are growers of roses in biodegradable pots. They may have a lead.

If nothing else, call your local arboretum or botanical gardens and they also may have a source for where you are locally.

If I still managed Woodside, I'd send you a hundred of them!

Jangchub

Well,

I don't know what else to say but thanks. I did see the Australia company site but lazy me, didn't see what I wanted on the first page and moved on to other less fruitful leads.

Forgot to say I'm in Iow-ay now, and all the local folks (even Amish) are using plastic pots. Had to chop my two sycamores out of giant plastic pots this spring. I'll keep digging, although the pots from

a lot like the ones I'm familiar with, except these are purty'd up some. They look like pots to set on the deck, not to set in the ground. But definately the right idea, so thanks much. I'll branch out some more on the searches!

Reply to
gonzo

Perhaps these are of interest?

William Wagner

Gonzo

You may want to bookmark these.

tiny
Luck

Bill !

Reply to
William Wagner

Bill..

To quote a line of movie dialogue.. BRILLIANT! Looks like these are them there pots.

Thanks for the search links also, I have for too long relied on the old google.

Cheers!

Reply to
gonzo