Replacing an x-large column base

Hi,

The base of one of the columns to the front entrance of my house has rotted to the point that it can't be repaired and needs to be replaced. My problem is that the dimensions of the piece are 13" x 13" x 2 3/8", and given the dimensions I don't know if I have any replaclement options aside from having a piece custom milled, which will undoubtedly be expensive.

I tried a local salvage lumber outfit, but the largest they could offer is 10" x 10".

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,

--Paul

Reply to
Paul C.

Choose treated lumber for the replacment. Rot tends to come back and travel.

Reply to
Joe Bobst

make up one from smaller pieces of lumber bolted together, and clad it with thin pieces to make it look like it was one piece.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Laminated constuction can (probably will) fail when the parts glued together exapand and shrink with changes in moisture content, then water gets into the open joints and causes decay. Pressure treated wood will not decay, but it usually is lower quality wood that is more likely to expand and shrink.

The most long-lasting wood construction for square column bases (also known as "plinths") is four solid wood pieces joined at the corners with a splined-miter joint. I just made two such plinths, 12.5" x 12.5" x 2.25" out of vertical grain Douglas Fir in my woodworking shop last week. It took 4.2 hours to fabricate the plinths, which would cost $147. plus $50. for materials. I treated them with chemical preservative inside and water repellant outside.

The method is described in my article, "Mr. Baseman," in Old-House Journal, July 1995. If your library does not have it, I can send you a copy for $10. to cover my costs and time.

Also, you can get plinths made of plastic, "cultured marble," and aluminum.

For more on column maintenance and repairs go to

, click on Reports and see the Wooden Column publication, which shows construction methods and lists suppliers.

John

Reply to
John Leeke