Square Pumpkin Failure

Looks like my attempt at growing a square pumpkin didn't work. I built a box that was just a little too big for the pumpkin to get trapped in; I'll try a smaller box next year.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

There has to be an optimum size. I would guess that a box that is too small would end up being split apart from the pressure of the growing pumpkin, unless it expanded out of the ends I would still like to see photos when its completed.

Mike

Reply to
Bloke Down The Pub

I'm going to try again next year with a smaller box. I measured one of the Red October pumpkins, they type I was trying to square, and the circumferen ce was 25 inches. This implies a radius of 3.98 inches; a circle with that radius would have an area of 49.74 square inches. If you fit that area into a perfect square, the sides of the square would be 7.05 inches. My pumpkin box has an inside dimension of 7.75 inches, so it was too big to square th e pumpkin. I think that next year I'll make two boxes with an inside measur e of 6 inches. The tops will be open, so that any excess will grow out of t he top instead of bursting the box.

This year's box was made of 2 X 10 lumber, with the sides and bottom attach ed with screws for extra holding power. Next year I'll use 2 X 8 and adjust the sides so that the inner dimensions are 6 inches.

Pictures next year about this time.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

I was curious and googled this up:

I'm sure others discuss and might be better but it sounds like you no not need that sturdy of a container. I've seen trees grow around small obstacles and seen deer netting that even touches the plant stunt its growth.

Makes gardening fun.

Reply to
Frank