windoze 11

just bought a imaculate second hand hp elete 8300 ultra slim desktop

6gig sd ram 500 gb hdd with psu for £25 at a car boot sale in Glasgow today knock off ? ... ....think it was a bargain but it came with windows 11 pro...HELP what have they done...it has taken me all day to get things sorted out...nothing is familiar....
Reply to
Jim gm4dhj

That's life, dinosaur.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Do a clean install on Win 10 on it if you want.

Run the tool, have it make you a bootable USB win 10 drive, boot from that. Delete all the existing partitions, and then let it do its thing.

(stick a SSD in it if you want to make it a *much* nicer and faster machine to use)

Reply to
John Rumm

Just google how to make win11 look like win7

Reply to
alan_m

and proud of it

Reply to
Jim gm4dhj

you are forgetting I hate computers

Reply to
Jim gm4dhj

hate windows 7

Reply to
Jim gm4dhj

I was trying to make it less hateful for you...

but suit yourself!

Reply to
John Rumm

So what interface do you like? I admit to sticking to Windows 10 and don't intend to move to 11 unless there's a compelling reason. I wouldn't be employed if I said I could only handle XP!

I can be a Luddite at times, but sometimes there are advantages when going with the flow rather than being stuck in the mud aka past.

Reply to
Fredxx

You might get to hate computers less if you follow John's advice.

Reply to
Fredxx

You never know what's on it. Wipe it and install Linux. In fact, even if it's a completely fresh Windows installation, wipe it and install Linux.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

For a guy who hates computers, you buy enough of them.

Because of limitations on refurb kits for off-lease machines, that could be why it got Windows 11 on it. Otherwise, the machine is not suited to Windows 11. The CPU is Ivy Bridge, and that would work just fine with Windows 10. For Windows 7, the odd driver might be missing.

Take it to the computer store, and they'll put Windows 10 on it for you.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I'm trying to understand why not? The main issue for speed will be the hard disk. 6GB of RAM should be ok as long as not too many applications are run simultaneously.

The spec allows:

Processors: Intel 2nd & 3rd Generation Core i3, i5, i7 Processors; select processors include Intel vPro Technology, Intel Pentium

It's not obvious the CPU Jim has or what performance is achievable.

Reply to
Fredxx

There are more flavours of Linux than there are Windows, you'll only continue to confuse the old chap.

Reply to
Fredxx

The processor is missing hardware MBEC support. This can reduce compute performance. MBEC is not listed on the Intel Ark page, so you can't check what each processor has got.

We don't know at what point, Microsoft will absolutely insist all the machines have TPM 2.0 working and be of a modern generation (have sandboxing turned on). As it is, an update is coming. I monitor the Insider, and I'm still finding some aspects of storage are slower than any other windows OS. Sure, this can be fixed by Jim using an SSD. The point is, we don't know where this crappy OS is headed. That's why I have reservations about putting it on "all and sundry".

The Notepad on Windows 10, finally fixed some things that have been broken for fifteen years. Then the knuckleheads come along and rewrite a portion of Notepad for Windows 11, and ruin it. This is not the "continuous improvement" I am familiar with. If a thing is working for once, leave it the f*ck alone! Ruining it, does not make me happy. Doesn't anyone evaluate customer sat any more ? Ask me what I think of the new Notepad and I'll tell you (it uses lazy-loading, just like all the f****ng crappy Linux editors do - I HATE THIS! Try moving the scroll bar, and you'll see what I mean. Load a decently large file.).

Open Notepad. Stick the cursor in the window. Now, watch the I-beam blink. Watch for the next 60 seconds. What happened ? Where is the insertion point now ? I make daily notes in Notepad, so I get to watch this all the time.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I think it's heading towards how OS X and tablet OS's work i.e. a sort of "don't worry your head about it, use it as it comes". Unusable unless you sign in and, as you say, MSFT earn some brownie points with h/w manufacturers and make all hardware over a couple of years old obsolete.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

my fav was XP but I have grown to like 10 hated 8 point someting so much I sold the lap top

Reply to
Jim gm4dhj

no I'm going to stick with it

Reply to
Jim gm4dhj

HP Elite 8300 is at least 10 years old using gen-2/gen-3 Intel CPUs. It wont have a TPM2.0 so any Win11 install is a testing release and at some point in the future MS will disable those testing versions from receiving bug fixes/security fixes.

£25 sounds right for such an old machine with spinning rust and little RAM. They have a good motherboard and with a decent CPU they were surprisingly good performers. Reliable as f*ck... we had 8 in the lab (none air-conditioned room) running regressions at 75-100% load 24/7 for 9 years with only 1 HDD fail.

Wipe and reinstall any 2nd hand machine, a no-brainer.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Simply replaced the HDD for an SSD and install Windows 10. It should be a reasonable machine.

Reply to
Fredxx