windoze 11

I thought HVCI could be turned off?

TPMs can be emulated, and someone pointed out here there are ways of installing Win 11 on a machine without TPM.

A long time bitch was COM port drivers. Windows support was abysmal and very buggy, leading to many using FTDIs drivers. That became apparent when FTDI made numerous serial com devices unusable after an update. Thankfully it was fixed in Windows 10. I can't believe it took them so long.

Reply to
Fredxx

Thats been my rule since forever.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Absolutely

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

thanks for the info...no it doesn't have tpm 2.0 just checked...oh well not such a bargain then.....is the tpm just a plug in £6 board? then enable?

Reply to
Jim gm4dhj

can i not just go back to win 10?

Reply to
Jim gm4dhj

No, they hate you because you shower them with dots. They then have to spend the rest of the day cleaning them off.

Reply to
Tim Streater

If it was upgraded from 10 recently, then it usually gives you 30 days to revert to 10. If it was however a clean install, there will be no option to revert since there won't be a version to revert to. (look in the top level of the C:\ drive to see if there is a Windows.old folder - if there is not you can't just uninstall the update).

It is however easy to install 10 from scratch if you want - you just need a >= 8GB USB drive to boot the installer from. See my first post with the link to the download of 10.

Reply to
John Rumm

bugger it

Reply to
Jim gm4dhj

On some motherboards you can use a plug in a TPM module. However the one you have already has a TPM 1.3 built in on the motherboard, and so it is not upgradeable.

(Modern CPUs have the TPM built in - so none needed on the motherboard)

That machine has a Intel gen 3 CPU that is definitely not supported by Win 11 with requires a Gen 8 CPU or later (the installer would have to do some registry tweaking to disable the TPM 2.0 requirement)

So 10 really would be a better choice for it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Go the whole way - just run a command prompt and make it look like DOS.

Reply to
Reentrant

I ran 8.something on a couple of machines - they offered the pro version for £20 when it first came out and I was just building two machines at the time.

I too hated it, but there was a simple add-on, that brought back the Windows button, the Start menu, etc. and gave it the look and feel of Windows 7. Once that was installed, it was excellent. In fact, it could make it appear as XP, Vista, ME, etc.

Reply to
SteveW

For 18 months or so, every Windows 7 update would replace my network driver with Microsoft's own, which made the port completely unusable. Every time, I had to reload the manufacturer's version, downloaded from their website, on another machine.

Reply to
SteveW

There are few settings that let you reposition the start button, left justify the taskbar, remove the edge of screen actions and so on, that make day to day use of 10 and 11 very similar.

I use 11 on my home machine (despite it not being supported) and 10 on my company laptop and move effortlessly between them.

I am not bothered if my home mahcine fails due to a future update though, as all the important files are kept on our home server and not the PC and I could always reinstall 10. By the time that happens, it is likely that I will have upgraded my PC anyway.

Reply to
SteveW

Pretty well everything in Windows 11 can be turned off. At the moment at least.

But we do not know at this point, what they will tinker with and ruin. When they break things and seem not to care (FrameServe), that's concerning.

It's like there are no adults in the room any more at Microsoft. Just a bunch of naughty elves with nothing better to do. The layoffs will clean out some of them. The junior elves.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

It does look as if the domestic Windows is heading down the road that leads to Android and iOS, and becomes just another walled garden. I'm assuming that when the Pro version is joined to a domain, it suddenly becomes a proper operating system. At least as proper as Windows gets, anyway.

Reply to
Joe

Sure. Absolutely. What is your skill set ?

I do a backup on a computer, before I install an OS. That is standard practice here. I've lost a couple hard drives worth of stuff, due to stupidity on my own part.

All my "skill" comes from accidents :-/ They are the best lessons.

*******

Now that your backup is done, and stored on your external drive...

1) Boot a Win10 DVD. 2) Install Win10 Pro, if the Win11 was Pro. 3) slmgr /dlv

can be used to check activati License status: Licensed

4) Roll back, if you don't like the results. Boot the CD you made for your backup program usage, and it can do a Bare Metal restore of the backup image you made. This is why you made a backup image!

I'm trying not to make this complicated, and that affects the recipe.

I think you already have a Win10 DVD, don't you ? From some other machine restoration you did ?

It does not matter which version of Windows 10 you install (21H2, 22H2 etc). Install any old Windows 10 Pro, and at some point, it will upgrade the OS for you. Since your machine is not Windows 11 Ready, it should not even offer you Windows 11 as an "Upgrade" to your fresh Windows 10. neat, eh?

Paul

Reply to
Paul

?Open Shell:

Works on Win 11 BUT you can't move the TaskBar, it's fixed at the bottom.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

They have done that with Win 10 recently with an update that overwrites the Intel inf file and disable hard drives.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

When I got a new machine, I put a TPM 2.0 module on it,

# About 1" x 1" square

But the thing is, even when you have one of those, it does not always use it. So it hardly seems worth the bother.

The thing is, you got a computer, and it's fast enough to keep. I would not be moaning about it :-)

*******

John Rumms link has two options.

The first option, is a direct update option.

Windows 10 2022 Update l Version 22H2

Update now

This gives you a copy of Win10Upgrade.exe .

The second option, is for making a DVD or a USB stick. This is preferable so you can reinstall at any time (like after malware).

Create Windows 10 installation media

Download tool now.

This gives you a copy of MediaCreationTool22H2.exe which is 19MB or so. This will download the four gigabytes of stuff and offer to put it on a DVD for you, or on an

8GB or bigger USB stick.

Since you're a lazy guy, making media would seem to be wasteful, and the "Win10Upgrade.exe" option might do it right on the hard drive for you. I haven't tested this. If Microsoft managed their OS versions properly, it would not accept Windows 11 as starting materials, but since the numbering system calls them both 10.x , it MIGHT work.

Did I mention make a backup first ?

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Yup I bought three pro license when it was on special offer :-)

I think I used "Start8" to do the same thing. I kept it for a few years since it was a fairly stable platform, and once tweaked it was mostly possible to banish the horrid "I am going to make your desktop behave like a tablet" feel!

Reply to
John Rumm