Grain-end wooden flooring.

Hello,

Anyone got any experience with it?

Is it as simple as getting some nice oak (or whatever) and cutting it into slices yourself? (I'd leave it to dry / acclimatise before laying).

Any particular adhesive needed? Pritt Stick? Araldite? Bitumen?

Will it need sealing afterwards? I'd assume so.

Thanks in advance,

David Paste.

Reply to
David Paste

You mean you're going to use butcher block for your floor ??

Reply to
fred

It seems like a very bad idea because wood is much less dimensionaly stable across the grain than along the grain with varying humidity.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

+1. Also end grain is harder to clean. And frankly looks crap. Parquet used to be glued with bitumen. It works & is very cheap. End grain blocks would break anything other than silicone.
Reply to
Animal

It's one idea, but of course it'd ooze more clarse and soffisicayshun coz its a idea i cum up wiv meself innit

Reply to
David Paste

Thanks. I did think it'd be hard-wearing, but if it's likely to be an arse otherwise, I'll give it a miss. Maybe I can get some vinyl wrap in that design...

Reply to
David Paste

Having admired some of the fine wooden floors of various German stately homes, I have an envy. I did some searching for grain end flooring and some were quite nice, but they tended to be in "rustic" kitchens (not on the countertops). This is a Victorian house so ideally it would be something from that era, if that makes any sense.

Cheers.

Reply to
David Paste

Parquet would fit better character wise, and be harder wearing.

Reply to
Animal

Cheers

Reply to
David Paste

But then people cover it with rugs because its too noisy or slippery when walking over it in certain types of shoe.

It's a wonder why fitted carpets ever caught on to cover up old wooden floors :) I also wonder how long the fad for fitting laminate floor planks is going to last.

Reply to
alan_m

Ha! My pitch pine Parquet flooring took a huge hit on my 21st birthday party. 1965 when stiletto heels were the rage!

The boss insisted on herringbone parquet style flooring in vinyl here.

460mm x 115mm sections laid over flooring grade chip. 3 years and no damage! >
Reply to
Tim Lamb

Engineered wood is a good way to have a wood finish with UFH. Carpet is carpet. Plastic laminate is an alternative to vinyl, but tiles are better than either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

though with an ageing population I hope some regard might be had to differences in risk of injuries (e.g. hip fractures) when landing on different surfaces.

Reply to
Robin

Similar many years ago when I had cushion floor in my toilet. Vinyl flooring with a thin foam like backing laid on top of hardboard.

Reply to
alan_m

If you want a safe space, then carpet is probably good. But my mother broke her hip on wet muddy grass.

Frankly, if your bones are weak and brittle, it wont make much difference.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Because most of them were not fit to be seen, and were covered by linoleum with a central decorative rectangular carpet.

Reply to
Joe

And with little kids still learning to walk and falling off stuff they are climbing on.

Reply to
Rod Speed

floorboards with gaps & damage are an eyesore & draughty Low quality laminate I always think is awful & not good value. I guess that's why it's promoted.

Reply to
Animal

I wonder why BR don't insist on springy overjoists to reduce such injuries

Reply to
Animal

I used a fairly cheap (but thick) laminate from Wickes 10 years ago over 2 large attic rooms. Easy to fit, covered a multitude of sins, looks fine to my eye, still looks as new.

Reply to
RJH