What is .875 inch as a fraction?

I need to buy some hose for an old washing machine. I plan top just buy some plastic tubing called Dairy hose (used for cow milking machines). I am almost helpless when it comes to math.

The original hose is listed as .875 inch ID. But that dairy hose is sold as a fraction, such as 3/4". (I know 3/4" is .750). What is .875 as a fraction?

(I'm guessing around 7/8", but that's just a guess).

Thanks for all help.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Pretty good guess. .875 is exactly 7/8. However, be careful with inside vs. outside diameter. Hoses and pipe intended for different purposes often measured in different incompatible ways.

Reply to
Pat

To do fractions, put your value over 1, and divide or multiply both top and bottom by the same number until you have the lowest whole number possible.

.875/1.000 divide both by 5

.175/.200 divide both by 5

.35/.40

divide both by 5 .7/.8

Can't be divided any further, multiply by 10

7/8 []'s (I'm a terrible teacher)
Reply to
Shadow

Your method works just fine but all the OP would have had to have done is enter .975 into a Google search. First hit said 7/8ths

Reply to
philo

Or since he thought it was about 7/8, just divide 7 by 8. In this case it's exact. If it wasn't then try 13/16 or 15/16, etc. until you have it close enough for what you need.

Reply to
trader_4

Google gave me 39/40. I could have done it faster in my head by taking the complement: .025. Ah, 1/40, so .975 is 39/40.

The same approach works with .875.

Reply to
J Burns

Auric Goldfinger

So to fractionate .875, I'd enter .975?

I have so much to learn.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On 05/21/2015 05:32 PM, Shadow wrote: [snip]

Or approach it from the other direction, divide 7 by 8. That's all you need to do here.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

A $10 pocket calculator can make life easier, I like the TI-30Xa.

John

Reply to
John
[snip]

Your computer may have an even better one..

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

My workstation doesn't fit in my pocket.

However :

My cell phone has a free app called 'CalcMadeEasy' that is nearly as good as the TI.

John

Reply to
John