Laminate flooring as kitchen countertop

There are patterns that resemble butcher-block and would probably look nice.

I figure if the "engineered" (fake wood) stuff is built to stand up to the abuse of being on a floor, it could probably take ordinary kitchen conditions.

Anyway, I've got some left over from a flooring project and thought I would give it a go -- unless, of course, somebody can come up with a discouraging word other than "That's the most f***ed up idea I EVER heard!"

Reply to
HeyBub

I have seen laminate that got wet do very poorly. Newer stuff may be OK.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Heat issues aside, I think it's a good idea. I built a computer desk and wanted a fairly rugged, but 'different' kind of work surface. A friend is in the floor covering business and showed me a Monsanto vinyl termed 'loose-lay'. Glue down isn't required and as you reason, 'good enuff to walk on' it would do what I wanted. Check out the pics:

It's also on the bar elsewhere in the same room:

1D10T

"HeyBub" wrote in news:BNednZmNRJiZmPHUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

That's the most f***ed up idea I EVER heard!

Oh, you said other than that ;-)

Well, it's not recommended for bathrooms. Humidity and water issues I believe is the reason. The amount of water from spills and constantly being wiped with a wet cloth doesn't sound like a good thing for longevity.

Yea, the surface of laminate is tough on some of them. The one I installed (on a floor) contained aluminum oxide particles (used in sandpaper for metal). But I would think if you ran a knife blade equally across a piece of laminate and Formica, the Formica would fare better. All just a hunch though. Nothing to back that up with.

Reply to
Red Green

"1D10T" wrote in news:DYTal.3093$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

I think there was less hardware in the lab in "Contact".

So uhhhhhh, what's with the peanuts? Is that to lure the aliens like you would squirrels or something?

Reply to
Red Green

There are geeks and then there are *GEEKS* or is it nerds?

This is a working showcase for my computer repair/building side business, and where I also hold computer classes. The rest of the time it serves as a media center for parties. It's also tied to the main media room for video and surround sound.

LOL They belong at the bar, but this way I don't have to keep getting up :-) Didn't think anyone would notice them.

Reply to
1D10T

HeyBub,

If move forward with this idea make sure you use enough glue along the seams so that is squeezes out evenly and then wipe off the excess before it dries. This will keep moisture out of the seams and help stop moisture problems. We did this on a kitchen floor we installed and it held up well during two plumbing catastrophes.

cm

Reply to
cm

The peanuts are to keep the mouse from running off.

Reply to
JP

Not a good idea.

Floor laminates cannot withstand a hot frying pan like formica, it will melt.

When it gets wet it will swell up and de-laminate.

The edges will be difficult (impossible) to finish properly no matter what kind of router bit or mechanical hiding you do.

It will have seems allowing water and bacteria from raw meat juices to grow colonies.

The next buy of the home will laugh at you.

Need I go on?

Reply to
RickH

The next buy of the home will laugh at you.

should be

The next buyer of the home will laugh at you.

Reply to
RickH

That won't be a problem. One look at the kitchen and no one will ever buy it.

Good show!

The laminate I have in mind is impervious to water or liquids, but I haven't checked it for heat - that should be easy enough to check!

I'll heat up a pot or skillet and set same on a bit of scrap.

Reply to
HeyBub

Heat test on "engineered" laminate flooring.

  1. I took a metal pot and got some water vigorously boiling therein. I set the pot on a 6x6-inch scrap of the target laminate and let it cool. No visible change to the laminate.
  2. Hmmm. I get a cast-iron skillet, put a layer of vegetable oil in it and heated it up until the oil started to smoke. Turned off the gas and let the thing sit for one minute. Then put the skillet on the scrap. Again, no visible change to the laminate.
  3. Okay, then. Next I get a pair of tongs and hold the laminate, good side down, in the friggin' gas flame! At about ten seconds, the laminate starts to char.

I conclude that, even if there's a trivet deficiency - and a distracted cook - in the kitchen, I should probably be okay.

Reply to
HeyBub

Try to find trivets that 'stand off' from the surfaca at least a half inch or so; that is to say that they have 'feet' to raise them from the surface rather than some types I've seen that lay flat. My mother once used a ceramic trivet like a piece of tile and the heat of a frying pan was transferred to the Formica and scorched it pretty well.

Reply to
1D10T

Try putting some water on it and letting it sit for a while.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

"HeyBub" wrote in news:4rGdnQs4ZNr0R_DUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I think you should try a whole box over a BBQ. Not that it has anything to do with your application. It'd just be cool.

Reply to
Red Green

I'm sure the result would be at least as tasty as my typical attempts at BBQing.

Reply to
HeyBub

Won't affect the laminate but may get into the joints. That would be a good test.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Just leave the hot pans on the stove Duh !!! Jr

Jerry - OHIO

What about using as a cutting board? Food stains? Water would be my major concern ..

Reply to
Norminn