A question of Laminate flooring in a kitchen

I am about to replace all my kitchen units with new ones and put laminate flooring down.

Question Do I put the Laminate flooring down first and the Kitchen units on top of the flooring, or do I fit the kitchen and then fit the flooring up to the units.

I was going to adopt the latter and just fit the flooring up to the edge of the base units and cover the edge of the flooring with the base unit plinths. However, I have been told that as I will be installing built under fridge, freezer and dishwasher it would be better to have the units on top of the flooring otherwise there will be a lip in front of the appliances and make it very difficult to pull these out if they need to be repaired or serviced.

Any suggestions / recommendations?

Many thanks David.

Reply to
David Oneill

You've been told right. If cost is a particular issue, you could laminate for the first 10cm or so into each appliance hole, and build up to laminate level with hardboard or similar for the rest of the depth; but laying wall-to-wall laminate will give you more flexibility in modifying the kitchen layout in future.

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

This came up a week or two back. IMO the best way is to fit the units first then run the laminate under them before fitting the plinths. If the units have adjustable feet then jack them up a little higher to allow for the laminate thickness. I'd suggest extending the laminate several inches under the unit (cutting round the feet so it can move) so that if there are spills or an excess of water is used to mop the floor it doesn't run under the plinth and immediately onto the laminate edge.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Hi,

Will the flooring run parallel to the units or at right angles?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C