Laminate Flooring installed parallel direction of natural light?

We are planning to install laminate flooring in our kitchen made by a company called Kaindl. They say to install the flooring in the same direction to the natural light. We are going to install the snap+silent laminate in our kitchen.

A install guy at Home Depot says that the flooring should be installed perpendicular to the natural light coming into the room, otherwise if you install it parallel to natural light you get a "bowling alley" effect... The instructions state "Snap+ silent panels should always be installed in the direction of the main light source".

Install it parallel, not perpendicular??... what do we do?

anyone?

Howie

Reply to
Howie

My opinion: go with the manufacturer's instructions -- parallel to the direction of the light. That should make the seams less noticeable, just like it does with carpet seams. For example:

Erma1ina

There are other considerations, IMO. As far as the natural lighting, I'd agree with the manufacturer over the HD guy that may have just started last week. Part of the day natural lighting will be a factor. The rest of the day, room lighting will be the only light. Consider the room layout in the equation. Most cases, the boards running the long length look better than running the short length.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

> l) ...

There must be a good reason for the manufacturer stating to run the floor parallel...

Reply to
Howie

Yes. Appearance due to the natural lighting. The manufacturer, however, does not know the layout of your room. Some will look plain stupid running in the "wrong" direction. If you have two windows in a room on different walls and the sun comes up right on the corner, how would you run the flooring? One way can make the room look larger, the other can make it look like a ladder is laying on the floor.

Smart people would take some of the flooring and lay it out on top of what is there. Then they would turn it to see if it makes a difference, then choose what is best for THEIR situation.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've laid laminate in a kitchen and a hallway the surrounded a stairwell. I agree with the previous poster.......parallel to the light but more importantly........make it run with the long wall.....much easier.

Reply to
rile

Don't have a clue what bowling alley effect is. But as a general rule install it parallel with the light direction just like you do with carpet nap, unless there is some over-riding consideration. With wood floor it will tend to make the joints less visible. Over-riding considerations are the general shape of the room, required cutouts, and multiple light sources.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

If you had a squarish room then the light consideration is important but if the room is long it should be installed parrallel to the long wall.

Reply to
Art