Large tub/tank to soak large pots - X-post

sounds like the sort of plastc basin in my sink. about a quid

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, I'm aware that the thickening in some washing up is salt and that's why I wouldn't recommend it for more than the occasional use. I'm suggesting where washing up liquid is used it's no more than a couple of drops per gallon of water which is also the same order of dilution used for the products formulated for horticultural use.

Reply to
alan_m

Why do you need to immerse the pot? Have you considered how much a 40 cm pot filled with soaking wet soil and the tree/shrub itself will weigh? And if you are using anything other than a plastic pot the total weight will probably be well in excess of 40 kg.

I cannot think of any well-established tree/shrub which needs to be immersed to water it. A gentle watering from a watering can rose, or spray from a hose for a few minutes (perhaps after use of a wetting agent as previously suggested) will provide enough water to soak the soil in the pot. Why not consider a daily timed drip-watering system? Then you could even go away for a few days and the pots would get watered.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Chanced across a small blow up one in HomeBase for £4.99 which seemed worth a punt.

Blow it up, put some plastic sheeting inside for additional protection and Robert is your Father's Brother.

Probably stand it on plastic as well to reduce the chance of a puncture from below.

We shall see how long it lasts.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

We have a wide shallow one just like this

shallow/

used for paddling, washing dogs, wetsuits, potatoes, holding pen for fish

I'd suggest a lower height will be easier to lift heavy pots into

Janet

Reply to
Janet

I have a few pots which benefit from a really good soaking. Black Bamboo and Buddleia mainly.

It is easier to dunk them every now and then because it is a pain to keep doing slow additions of water.

I noted how much better they did last year when spring and early summer were both very wet.

The ratio of root to soil in the case of the bamboo is quite low. I did pot it on but it seems to become pot bound very quickly. Not the time of year to split it, either.

A drip water system might be a long term solution apart from the location of the water and the plants, but I need a short term solution.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

If this outer container is going to be a permanent fixture, then unless you bale it out after every watering, then all you'll succeed in doing is effectively drown the roots. Which need oxygen.

Overwatering allied with poor drainage and the drowned roots which resulkt are probably the biggest single cause of death in potted plants of whatever size.,

You don't say what medium these tubs contain. But all tubs can be watered from above, whatever the potting medium only it might not aways be possible in the one visit. The first one or two light waterings should simply wet the top surtface sufficient that it should expand the medium such that the third and subsequent waterings won't run straight down the sides of the compost and out of the borrom of the pot.. This process may need to be spread over a couple of hours such that its only when the medium is thoroughly soaked that water will seep out of the bottom and you can be sure the job is done.

michael adams

Needs to be deep enough to come a

Reply to
michael adams

A QVC video demo so take some of the sales bullshit with a pinch of salt but generally it does show how it works

(the audio mute may be on by default - it's the speaker icon at the bottom of the video_

Reply to
alan_m

Gorilla Tub/TubTrug or similar

Reply to
DJC

In message , David writes

There are a million blow up pools available via eBay. Sounds like a good idea, as you could stand the pot on the base then inflate the sides around it, which would avoid having to lift the pot over the inflated sides.

My suggestion was going to be a rigid cement mixing tray. More expensive, and fairly shallow, but also useful for other jobs - like mixing cement :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Large strong wood working dust controller bag. If you are able to lift the pot one of these should do. If you rip it the cost is negligible. Try Axminster

Reply to
fred

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Have one of those - it is a bit too shallow to get good immersion.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Why do you need to immerse them ?

Do you not wonder how everybody else with large pots manages to water them successfully without having to resort to immersing them ?

There are situarions, cacti which fill the entire pot, where there's no alternative. But they're only watered three or four times a year at most. And are thoroughly drained each time not left standing in water.

Standing posts in water is a bad idea for reasons already given.

Basically it takes time. If the compost is thoroughly dried out then maybe you will need to water them, over a couple of days. Lightly water the top and when that's eventually soaked in the compost will expand to the sides and water will no longer run down the sides between the pot and the compost and straight out the bottom. This takes time as you will learn with experience.

Similarly if you're growing plants in large pots, the surface of the soil or compost may well dry out even go rock hard, while underneath its still moist. Basically pots need to be watered when the plants need it not when (it may well look as if) the soil needs it. You can tell this if you're lucky by examining the leaves. Basically if the leaves and maybe stems aren't showing initial signs of wilting - going soft (leaves) or stringy (stems) but remain rigid then in those plants the pots don't need watering. I say if you're lucky because in many waxy leaved plants camellias, rodos etc this is almost impossible to tell. In which case you might need to splash out on a moisture meter.

But somehow I don't think you want to know this. Like a lot of people posting questions on Usenet you already know all the answers, you've got your "quick fix" to your problem and anyone telling you any different is already wasting their time.

Such is life, I suppose

michael adams

michael adams

Yes, such is life.

I have many years experience of gardening (which does not make me right, of course) but I have found out that in certain situations it is effective to immerse a pot in water.

This is the second time in this thread you have posted much the same advice.

So it is debatable whose time is being wasted.

I was asking for suggestions on how to immerse a pot to give it a good soaking.

Others have been very helpful.

You, less so.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Such that you were also asking for advice on which paint is suitable for painting over creosote.

You didn't seem to have much luck with that one either, by the looks of things did you ?

michael adams

Reply to
michael adams

Bitchy much?

Reply to
David

Ordered all your kiddie's paddling pools yet ?

Maybe when they're all installed, alongside the railways sleepers, you could post a picture of your garden on here.

michael adams

michael adams

Mmm....yes...bitchy very much!

Reply to
David

No. Just trying to be helpful.

Having given the matter a bit of thought, given that you can't paint the railway sleepers as they've been saturated in creosote, maybe you could paint the kiddie's paddling pools with creosote instead.

Then at least they'd all match.

michael adams

michael adams