What to call a large shower with a tub inside?

We're planning our new home and we're considering some different layouts for a bathroom. One of the more creative ones is to create a tiled shower with glass surround, possibly 6'x10', and install a bathtub inside at the end.

We've tried googling for some examples, but all we keep finding are the usual bathtub/shower combinations found in most homes.

Is there a name for that configuration? Any suggestions on finding some examples?

Reply to
Me

a step-down tub mounted in the floor used to be called a roman tub, but the usage has changed in recent times.

Reply to
charlie

You've got way too much free time on your hands...not to mention way too much money you don't know what to do with...

Reply to
Trencherman

What would be the purpose or advantage of this setup? So the kids can shower while you're in the tub? Or you can shower while the kids are in the tub?

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I have seen this while in Norway but dont have a clue to what you would call it either.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Use the search term "shower +room +tub" without the quotes.

I have not seen exactly what you want but locally, I have seen a couple of residential multi-head shower rooms large enough for 6.

These were just walk in rooms no doors or curtains. I can't imagine cleaning the darn thing. A tub over in the corner would not have been out of place.

Reply to
Colbyt

Sounds nice to me, even though I live alone. I'd add a hose bib on one wall, and make sure the floor drain was big enough so I could just scrub the whole room with a hose and a mop. Great for bathing kids, cuz they splash everywhere. And even after a soaking bath, nice to be able to rinse off the soap scum without waiting for tub to drain.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Group showers?

Reply to
willshak

Thanks. That's pretty much why we'd like to have something like this... It also give you more shower room instead of having the usual tiny shower stall.

It sounds expensive, but it's a lot cheaper than trying to retrofit one into an existing bathroom later.

Reply to
Me

Ostentatious?

Reply to
HeyBub

Really?

Many homes have a shower stall and seperate bathtub. I just want to knock out the wall between and glass it in. It's not THAT much of an upgrade.

Reply to
Me

1 - Remove the table in the corner and install a shower head and tiled floor in that area. 2 - Sink a Hot Tub into the floor where the rug is.

Now that would be a sweet set up!

DerbyDad03

On Fri 15 Jan 2010 01:10:47p, Me told us...

Yes, a cleaning nightmare. I assume you have a staff???

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Not ostentatious at all. After all, travel trailer showers use this concept. The idea of a large wet area centrally drained is used all the time to save money and space. I've seen the application used in low-end bath designs as well as high-end bath designs. The most important thing to address is waterproofing. I suggest finding a qualified designer that can detail (design) the proper layout (tub, shower, etc), waterproofing & materials. I wouldn't expect to find many how-to's for this on google. You can follow this link to see an example. It's a bed/breakfast photo or advertisement, not a how-to. Good luck.

Karl