Tub question - how to tell what kind?

How do I tell what kind of tub I have (steel or cast iron)? It's porcelain covered, but otherwise I don't have a clue. It is magnetic too, and about

25 years old.

This matters because I need to remove it, and I guess the removal instructions are different depending on the material. The local handyman quoted me $450 to remove it & the surrounding tile on the wall, so I'm going to try it myself. I can see how a sledgehammer works on cast iron but I'd be surprised if it has much effect on steel. I do have a sawzall.

This is the kind of tub that's sealed up to the walls, not the free-standing kind with feet.

Reply to
Bob M.

If it's steel, you'll be able to lift it by yourself. If it's cast iron, you'll need two strong guys or a sledge hammer. If you hit a steel tub with the sledge, it will dent

Reply to
RBM

Hi, Tap, tap. feel/hear the difference?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

As noted, tap it for feel and sound.

Please have plenty of personnel protection.

Safety goggles for the shrapnel as well as heavy clothing and gloves. Dust mask probably advised too. Cover windows and anything else that might get damaged.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I had to use a mini-grinder to cut mine in half.

Reply to
Icky

In this case, you can tell by hitting it with the sledgehammer. If it breaks, it's cast iron. If it bends, it's steel. :)

If it doesn't bend and doesn't break, you may have to hit it harder, or at a more vulnerable spot. Dn't swing toward your own knees.

Reply to
mm

No. I can't do a side-by-side comparison.

Reply to
Bob M.

Now -that- I can understand. Since I'm going to destroy it anyhow, I guess whacking it with a sledge won't matter.

Reply to
Bob M.

Get somebody heavy (200 lbs+) to stand in it, in their bare feet, and rock back and forth. If they can feel it flex, it is steel. But seriously- rapping on it with a fingernail should make it obvious. A steel tub will sound about like a car fender. Holding a palm against it is another way to tell. Steel will quickly warm up and lose the cold feeling- cast iron, being more massive, takes a lot longer to feel warm.

So why are you ripping it out? Damaged finish, or just the wrong color or style? Replacing Iron with plastic or steel is a definite move downward- if I ripped out iron, I'd definitely put back iron, even if I had to go less fancy elsewhere to make the budget.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Cutting torch.

Reply to
ValveJob

Wrong color. Light brown - yuck. Absolutely agree on steel vs. fiberglass tubs.

Reply to
Bob M.

- In this case, you can tell by hitting it with the sledgehammer. If it

- breaks, it's cast iron. If it bends, it's steel. :)

- If it doesn't bend and doesn't break, you may have to hit it harder,

- or at a more vulnerable spot. Dn't swing toward your own knees.

Many years ago, I was convinced my tub was cast iron, probably due to the rough, black coating on the bottom. Knowing that you should crack a cast iron tub to make it easier to remove, I grabbed my heaviest sledge, protected various parts of my body, gritted my teeth and swung as hard as I could. It can be pretty scary when a sledge hammer bounces back, almost to the position it started from! I'm lucky I didn't pull something.

Steel tubs come out very easily, and in one, slightly dented piece.

Reply to
DerbyDad03