What kind of wood fro glider slats?

I have an old glider that we really enjoy. The seat and back slats need replacement-I don't know what kind of wood was used originally.

This thing sets out all year in NJ (covered over the Winter) and I'm curious if anyone could recommend something other than cedar or redwood that might last 6-8 years.

Thanks,

Tom in Howell, NJ

Reply to
Teejay

Cypress

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Oak. All the gliders down here in the south that I see are made of oak. Mine is about 10 years old. It is made of oak.

Teejay wrote:

Reply to
mapdude

Reply to
Russ

ipe if what it to last for decades

Reply to
Leonard Shapiro

The porch swing at my mother's house was there when my mom and dad bought the house in 1976. It is open to the weather year round, although somewhat protected by the deck over the carport that the swing is on. It is white oak and gets sanded and a few coats of spar varnish every 8 to 10 years ;-) Seriously, my dad died in 1995 and I refinished the swing 2 summers ago for the firsat time after he died. My mom seems to remember him refinishing it a year or two before he died and a couple of times in the prior 20 years. The slats are probably 3/8ths thick and show NO sign of rot. I expect to go through a couple more sets of hanging chains over the next 20 years, but not to have to replace the swing unless a fat ass like mine is sitting in it when a chain breaks ;-).

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall