Cloverdale Wood Show

Although it is still open, I had my day yesterday. it was a good show even though they started charging for the parking. Three building and two seminar tents, the bandsaw mills outside and lots of big tools to dream about.

There seemed to be more turners there this year. I always enjoy watching the lathe work. I got to see one man demonstrating a bowl saver and watched as the block broke free and caroomed off his face. Split lip and an "oh well that happens some times" spoke right to many of us that have had that dance with a spinning piece of wood. The big stores filled the centers of the two big buildings with their wares and the small vendors were along the outside. It amazes me each year home many big ticket items end up with sold signs on them during the show. General was out in force, even sponsoring a Secondary School's display showing a bunch of beginners working on projects. They wisely kept the General display away from the Delta folks. No comparison in quality with the big stuff. KMS Tools is now carrying General machines too which gives another local outlet for big green iron.

There also seemed to be more Non wood type vendors this year too. Stuff like shoe support inserts, glass cutters and the ever popular cleaning products. That part made me laugh the most. I watched many men leaving with boxes of new tools under their arm and smiles on their faces. Many of these also had a little something for the wife at home. One of the nonwood vendors was selling mops to clean lino, or tile floors. He was an animated salesman and his bunch blocked the aisle most of the time. Now these men, convinced that their wife needed this new mop to clean better purchased them. Picture if you will, the proud hubby arrives home with his toys, perhaps sneaking them into the shop and then proudly presents his wife with a new mop.. "Here honey, thought of you today at the wood show and bought you this wonderful new mop. I know that you hate to clean the floor but with this new one it will seem almost like a game. Why the man at the show just danced around cleaning and made it look so easy" I hope the cold temps didn't effect to many of these thoughtful men as they slept in the shop last night.

All in all a good show. Now it is out to my shop to play with my new toys as well. FWIW

Reply to
Nut Tree

On Sun 02 Nov 2003 03:16:15p, "Nut Tree" wrote in news:zuepb.261306$9l5.139912@pd7tw2no:

Where's Cloverdale?

JEEZ! That's a dance I spend a lot of time, money, and effort to avoid.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

British Columbia, Canada - just outside Vancouver.

Reply to
BeerBoy

I was there on Saturday as well and was drooling over many things as well.

Got my first look at the DeWalt 735....good lord but that thing is a tank. They had 8 of them there for sale, $699 CAD, and they had sold 4 by noon on Saturday and I would imagine they sold them all by end of show.

New "knockoff" mini lathe caught my eye as well. Made by King, kind of local house brand, 10" swing, something like 14" bed (that doesn't seem right but..) and can be extended to 47" bed length...$300 CAD vs. Jet MiniLathe at $450 CAD...I have a small shop and it would be a nice fit and the possibility of future bed length makes it more future-proof.

The show was only marginally bigger this year vs. last year and there seemed to be fewer wood vendors i.e. outfits selling wood, not wood tools. On the other hand, there seemed to be more in the way of woodworking supplies and machinery...

Everyone was doing clamp sales or specials - buy 3 get 1 free sort of things....It was pretty hilarious all the guys walking around clutching their 4 or 8 pack of 6 foot long bar clamps....

Also ran across a new (??) Delta cabinet saw that I had not heard anything about before.....show special was $800 CAD! 1 3/4 hp motor, cast iron table, unifence, to be delivered in November.

Anyone know anything about this?

Sigh. Not until next year now. Hopefully next year I won't lose my job just before the show and I will have some money to spend....

"Nut Tree" wrote in news:zuepb.261306$9l5.139912@pd7tw2no:

Reply to
stickdoctorq

So, was Porter Cable conspicuously absent like the Calgary show??? I was a bit pissed at that, wanted to check out some stuff but they were nowhere to be seen.

Dave.

Nut Tree wrote:

Reply to
Dave

Nah, they were there but if you think of the size of their line it is easily overwhelmed by the yellow, blue and red. I remember the booth because the fellow in front of me was looking for a "d-handle" base for his combo set.

Reply to
Nut Tree

I saw literally TWO pieces of PC gear at the Calgary show. One of the local tool shops were told NOT to bring any PC product to the booth. They had one D-handle router mounted to display a JessEm table... that was it. With the abundance of "yellow", you would think the show was "sponsored".

Dave.

Nut Tree wrote:

Reply to
Dave

Down here it was the big three major stores that dictate what can be on display. KMS is starting to sell General and could not bring any to the show. House of Tools had the General display. All in all most everything was made off shore or at least looked like it. One big exception though. An older man had a couple of glass display counters filled with old tools. Mostly planes but a few other hand tools too. He sat quietly among the masses content with his display. I stopped to speak to him and his eyes would light up as he spoke of the tools and their history. A nice respite from the rush of the show. Nothing at his booth was for sale. Just for show.

Reply to
Nut Tree

Porter Cable was well represented in the Summit Tools area with the Delta stuff.

Reply to
BeerBoy