OT. Ford Lightning. Battery F150

The point is that very few are going to have to vehicles just because one has to stay in the county.

I had two, also (still do). They were spaced far enough apart that one was a junker. The other was really roadworthy. I now use both for distance driving.

Who pissed in your Wheaties today. There are people who never leave their town. There are couch potatoes who don't haul stuff. Sure, there may be a market. It's *NOT* universal.

Get over yourself.

Reply to
krw

Do you think the US can produce all of the lithium it needs?

Not a very good advertisement for their product.

Reply to
krw

There are millions of cars sold every year. The market for them is huge and many types available.

I guess you aren't smarter than that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There were two rumors -- sterility or increased fertility, take your pick. This was the early '70s and microwave ovens weren't a thing. It didn't take long for the people on the shop floor to figure out they could heat their lunch in one, right after they learned to take their meatball sandwich out of the tinfoil. The bigger models were 7.5 or 15 kilowatts.

We kept one of the little bench models in the engineering lab. It did wonders for the day old stuff from Freihofer's Bakery across the bridge.

fwiw, they were still using horsepower delivery in the city when I was a kid.

Unfortunately we were out in the country and it was a bread truck painted to match. Put the sign in the window if you wanted anything.

Reply to
rbowman

"Ed Pawlowski" snipped-for-privacy@snet.xxx wrote

There is no farm problem, farm machinery works fine on grown fuel.

And they are the ones that grow it. Novel concept I realise.

It is indeed with farm machinery.

No need to, they harvest the fuel they use fine.

Don?t need to, its easier to keep using the stuff out of the ground for more than half a century now.

See above.

I wasn?t talking about ethanol. Diesel engines work fine right now on grown oil.

Because the energy to run it has to come from somewhere. In spades in the depths of winter, it cant be waste heat like it can be with an ICE in winter.

And when it doesn?t, it does.

It drops a hell of a lot more than that in the depths of winter.

But not your longer trips without lots of wasted time waiting for it to be recharged.

Bullshit.

The average isnt what matters, it?s the longer than average commutes and there are plenty of those.

Wrong again, half of them do more than the average commute.

Makes a lot more sense to stop pissing all that natural gas against the wall heating houses, food, water etc with no downsides with doing that instead of going to stupid EVs which have lots of downsides and always will, and f*ck the environment with their stupid batteries.

Reply to
Joey

You mean you ever had a doubt????

Many people rent a vehicle for odd trips out of town because their car is eother unsuitable by design, or old enough they don't want to trust them on a trip.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

One thing conspicuously absent from this discussion among old men is demographics.

We'll all be dead before gas runs out.

Young people are not embracing driving in the numbers they used to. Fewer have driver's licenses; fewer still own cars. Many of them are content to call for a ride or rent a car when they need one. If they want to get to a city 300 miles away, they fly.

Short-range electric vehicles might be much more palatable to those who will be driving after we've laid down our car keys.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

They are claiming 60,000 metric tons per year. Global production in 2019 was 86,000 tons, down to 82,000 in 2020.

After you extract the lithium it doesn't go away.

I know of two lead acid battery recycling plants in LA and I assume there are some in the east. In the US 80% of the lead is from secondary production. It probably would be higher if you mined the local firing range :)

If those levels can be achieved with lithium primary production become less important. As usual, follow the Franklins to predict what actually will be done.

Reply to
rbowman

The flaw in the idea that you will just rent a car is there might not be any to rent. Try getting one now and we have 300 million ICE cars. I wanted to rent a car to go to Pompano and even a week out, nobody had one. (Hertz, Enterprise or Avis/Budget). Imagine what it would be like if we were making them go away by design. The hybrid sounds good but in real life they don't turn out to be that much more efficient for the premium you pay to buy one.

Reply to
gfretwell

I know they have trouble putting out a lithium battery fire. They pretty much keep burning until the battery dies. Squirting water on it doesn't do much.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hydrogen isn't really a fuel in the practical sense. It is just a fairly inefficient storage scheme. If you are deriving your hydrogen from water, you use more energy getting it out than you get when you burn it. OTOH most commercially derived hydrogen comes from natural gas so you end up with the same issues we are talking about with possibly dwindling supply if we really started using any large quantity. Have you priced helium lately?

Reply to
gfretwell

I recalled the suggestion years ago of using methanol for fuel cells in cars. Good article still makes a lot of sense:

invalid unparseable

You do know why there is a shortage today don't you? Has nothing to do with what it will be like in 1, 5, 10, 20 years. With travel down, rental companies sold off excess fleet.

Just read this morning, Ford is developing two new EV platforms. They will be investing 30 Billion dollars in EV.

You probably know Volkswagen is going to stop making ICE in 2026.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

He still points out methanol is a by product of fossil fuels and when he goes off on the hydrogen from water tangent he ignores the inefficiency of that process and ignores where that "sufficient cheap energy" will come from. Ne does go down the nuclear rabbit hole with Rod/Joey but that seems a pretty remote possibility until they take away Jane Fonda's Oscar for China Syndrome and dismiss the film as a Roadrunner cartoon.

Reply to
gfretwell

They are still selling them tho. I just bought 2. I am not sure why they remain so pessimistic. Hertz is Bankrupt tho. If their business model is people renting to go on long distance vacation it will be a different paradigm than folks just getting one at the airport to drive around town for a few days.

Time will tell.

Reply to
gfretwell

They do run E85 in places so it can work. I wonder how mny cornfields will be needed. No wonder Gates is buying up farmland.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Easier to just say the climate has always changed and on a cold winter day deny global warming. Look, its snowing so there can't be global warming.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

ICE's are probably at maximum efficiency because like incandescent light bulbs most of the energy goes into heat. He does point out that methanol fuel cells are twice as efficient and should get better. You would also not need all that new infrastructure and regular gas stations could handle methanol. The fuel cells may give off CO2 but are less polluting.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Something that I think got buried in the whole ethanol argument is that like methanol you can most likely make ethanol more efficiently from petroleum. That would not benefit big AG who essentially bribed both party's into the ethanol mandate.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Yes, being pushed by government mandates plus auto companies will make more profit.

Also just googled this up:

"Tesla also earns credits for exceeding emissions and fuel economy standards and then selling them to other carmakers that fall short so they can avoid penalties. The company earned $518m from sales of those credits in the first quarter, an increase of 46% over the same quarter in 2020."

Big business likes big government if they can extract funds from them.

Problem they are creating for all of us tax payers is the trouble caused by legislating science and technology.

Reply to
invalid unparseable