OT. Ford Lightning. Battery F150

That ignores fracking.

That?s bullshit with the change from ICE to EV.

Design wise, but not buying wise.

Nothing is achieved by farting around plugging the stupid EV in every f****ng night and spending stupid money replacing the very expensive battery every 7 years or so and polluting the environment with f***ed EV batteries.

More mindless bullshit.

Reply to
Joey

That's the best you can come up with?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's pretty much irrelevant if the suspension has to support it. BTW, more torque, not more HP.

Reply to
krw

If those trucks are used like trucks, that 300 mile range is a fantasy. Hook that 10,000 pound trailer, they brag about, on it and drive it around all day in the winter with a 5000 watt heater going. See how you do then. That also assumes they are not using the power ports as a job site generator. Maybe I am used to work trucks. They may think everyone is just going to buy big tires, shine their truck up, cruise around and try to impress the cow girls.

The big difference is gasoline was a waste product from the production of kerosene, a glut on the dry cleaning market and there was already an infrastructure for distributing kerosene. Rockefeller was pretty fast to expand that into a national network of gas stations. Cars were also a totally new thing so the gasoline infrastructure had plenty of time to evolve.

These EVs are coming fast and I am not sure if the grid is up to the task. That is particularly true in places like California and the Northeast where the grid is already straining.

Reply to
gfretwell

Clearly that shit is the best you can come up with.

Reply to
Joey

We have been hearing about running out of oil for 50 years and we keep finding more. I also wonder if your boss is going to buy and maintain $15,000 worth of solar panels for every parking spot? Hope you don't have a cloudy day or you might not make it home.

Reply to
gfretwell

I would be curious how those Tesla drivers do on range when they are showing off their 0-60 at every light. The ones I see look like some Mobil Gas Economy Run veteran is driving.

Reply to
gfretwell

Sounds like Rod to me.

Reply to
gfretwell

TANSTAAFL

Reply to
rbowman

They can still blaze away from a stoplight.

Reply to
gfretwell

No, I can see the need for radical change in the future. When running out of oil was brought up, you countered that natural gas will replace it. NG will run out too so changing cars to it depletes it faster. There are hundreds of thousands of homes that heat and cook with NG. What do they do?

When oil is gone what do we fuel airplanes with? You don't see past today. Look at the evolution of the automobile and how long it took to become safe and fuel efficient. It will take a long time for electrics to become easily fueled with recyleable batteries and a way to charge them

What is your plan? What to yoy see in 40 years?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Look around at the supermarket parking lot. Thousand of trucks never haul more than two bags of groceries. They never travel more than 20 miles from home. There is a big market for that. Every EV that replaces a gas or diesel stretches the finite supply of oil.

No the grid is not up to it. Will it ever be if not pushed into it? CA can't even keep the lights on at night so this is what will push them to act now, not 40 years when too late.

What is your plan for 50 years from now? How do we fuel ships and airplanes? How about all those homes heated with NG or oil?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

True, but not everyone can drill an oil well when the gas stations run out.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have no problem with EV's and think they have their place.

What I do have a problem with is government mandating them and subsidizing them. A huge infrastructure change is required and pushing it will cause a mess.

Also with government, it is usually one size fits all. For example Japan and California will not allow gas powered cars in the future but driving distances in Japan may only be a quarter of what is needed in California.

Some people need to travel long distances to do things in states like Montana.

Then I read that 17% of the people in the US live in apartments and condos. How will they charge their vehicles except at charging stations? There are also those in townhouses and those without garages.

I could go on, but you get my point.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I agree, but the answer it not to do nothing. The issue has to be pushed and consumer demand will give the push.

Near me there are a couple of apartment complexes going up. Like 300 units. I don't see any car chargers. If I was the developer I'd put in a couple somewhere to attract the EV owners.

You bring up range, one reason I don't have an electric. I've not tracked it but I do recall some rather prohibitive ranges, like the Chevy Volt at 32 miles. Now some cars have 300 miles. What does the future hold?

Look at the auto industry over the past 100+ years. It will take a long time but range and cost can be improved, batteries are getting better and new one soon will not use lithium.

You and I won't see it but our grandkids will be dealing with it as oil becomes scarce and expensive.

I bet Charles Duryea had no idea what his car would evolve to.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Didn't the switch to pickups and SUVs begin because the feds decided to set minimum mileage standards for regular passenger cars? People didn't like Pintos and Vegas.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

He'd not need any solar panels. Where I worked I'd be able to go 4 days on a single charge. OTOH, the company was based on plastics, a by product of oil so there would be no more business.

We will some day run out of oil. Fortunately, some visionaries are working on alternatives.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I haven't seen the sun since Sunday. It's even worse in the winter. If the sun does appear, it's low on the horizon. That's a big battery bank to smooth it out.

I've used solar at my hovel in AZ since '88.

I'm 10 miles south of that farm, so it's a favorable location. Still there were rainy winters when I had to be very careful of consumption. I wonder how many megawatts Duke is producing during those periods? Compared to Palo Verde it's a hobby operation.

rbowman

Which new one? Lithium-sulfur is the next feasible one on the horizon.

Reply to
rbowman

SUV's definitely gamed the system. The traditional station wagon would fall under the automobile fleet average calculation while a SUV is a light truck.

The line is blurred but I'm sure the manufacturers are adept at staying on the right side.

Reply to
rbowman