A big, nearby lightning strike blew out 4 fuses in the fuse box, and
also the fuse that is next to the furnace; both in the garage. I know
that if a fuse blows again, just after replacement, there is a short
circuit; but if it doesn't blow, does this mean everything is
definitely okay? I am worried that the wiring inside the walls could
have been damaged, and could overheat slowly, giving a delayed
problem. I have to be away from home alot, and am feeling paranoid
about even replacing the fuses before I leave. I understand electrical
wiring, but lightning is out of my league. I am also on a very limited
budget, so I don't want to call in a pro if not really necessary. I
would appreciate any input. Thanks
If it doesn't blow after replacing fuses, it could all be ok, or the circuit
could be open due to the lightning.. So if all lighting and appliances work
once you replace fuses, that is a good sign. Being that you are away alot, I
would also do a test where you load up each circuit with a heavy load, to
test for partially burned, high resistance runs of wiring. If the fuses
blow before the wiring fails, you are likely alright.
but if it doesn't blow, does this mean everything is
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.