When I was a kid, I was told "Dont take a Bath when it's Lightning".
Back then, it made sense. Metal pipe, metal bathtubs, all WELL GROUNDED.
Including a lightning attracting cast iron vent stack pipe on the roof.
These days we have almost all PVC drain pipes, including the vent on the
roof, PEX or CPVC supply pipes, and most (not all) tubs are made from
some plastic material. Thus, NOTHING is grounded.
I have often wondered if that old advice ("Dont take a Bath when it's
Lightning") is still true?????
Yes, many older homes still have metal pipes, and metal tubs, so that
advice is still true. But for any newer home with all plastics for
plumbing, I tend to discard that advice.
Of course many homeowners are clueless about their plumbing, so the best
advice is still "Dont take a Bath when it's Lightning". But for those
who are absolutely sure their tub and plumbing are made from non-metal,
I'd think there is little risks.
I wonder if there is any actual scientific studies on this issue?
I never heard of it happening to a bather, but I have heard of it
happening to people swimming in lakes or pools. I have also heard of it
happening to anyone outdoors as well as cattle and other livestock.
I was always told to never use a wired telephone during lightning. That
is smart advice. I've lost several modems, but years ago, my neighbor
had his phone blown right off the wall, leaving a hole in the plaster.
That same storm killed my phone and all the phone wires in my house were
charred, with segments of insulation with no copper left in it. The
phone company had to completely rewire both houses, and I heard another
guy a half mile away also needed all new wire.
On 4/26/2016 6:05 AM, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
My mom was once washing dishes in the kitchen sink during a
thunderstorm and had ball lightning appear out of nowhere, roll down
her right arm and into the dishwater. That was the day she quit
washing dishes during thunderstorms.
My next door neighbor's huge tree was struck by lightning a few years
ago. Not only did it blow that section of the tree apart, sending
flaming sections of branches with the bark blown off into neighboring
yards, it blew the dirt off the tree's roots, set off the car alarms
of both their cars (parked in the garage), shattered windows in the
house, fried the phone and cable, and set some of the wiring on fire
inside his walls.
I was in my kitchen that morning, just about ready to head out and go
to work, when the air in front of me suddenly filled with blue sparks.
Then the lights flickered and - BOOM!
Luckily, I just had to reset my breakers. My neighbor behind me (and
kitty corner from the neighbor whose tree was struck) woke up just
before the strike and saw a cross of silver sparks hanging in the air
over head bed just before the strike. She thought she was losing her
mind, till I told her about my blue sparks. The strike took out her
telephone and cable, too. I lucked out.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.