While cleaning up in the back yard, I noticed one 6 foot long vine of
poison ivy on a fence behind the work shop. I was going to go buy some
poison ivy killer from Lowes, but looked up if there was a natural way
to get rid of it. I found this info and wanted to know if anyone else
has tried this:
"Start with a gallon of white vinegar. The “average” vinegar is 5%
acidic and will work just fine, but if you can find one that’s 10% or
20% your mixture will be more potent. Pour the vinegar into a pot and
heat it over the stove. Add 1 cup of salt and stir until the salt
dissolves. Let it cool, then add 2 tablespoons of liquid dish soap.
Vinegar, when diluted with a gallon of water makes a good fertilizer for
acid-loving plants like azaleas, rhododendrons and blueberries. When
mixed full strength with salt, it works very much like Round-Up. The
dish soap helps the mixture to stick to the leaves."
I mixed up a small hand sprayer version of this recipe and sprayed the
vines leaves while it was still hot. While the leaves were wet with the
mixture I sprinkled additional salt on the plants leaves. I know salt
will do damage to many plants and even prevent some from growing, so
added the extra salt in case of rain that might or might not clip us in
a couple of hours. I figure the salt will get washed into the soil
below the plant and do some damage that way, too.
Anyway, it's been about an hour since I sprayed it with the hot mixture
and the leaves are already wilting, but, it looks like we may get the
rain I thought was going to miss us. I can re-spray the leaves if need
be, so that isn't a problem.
My question is has anyone tried getting rid of poison ivy and what did
you have to resort to before it finally did the job. I've heard it's
hard to get rid of, but thought I'd try the natural method first before
resorting to dangerous chemicals.