It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.
I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.
OTOH, 3 days on crab grass and the stuff is clearly dead or on the way.
Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?
If so, what timeframe?
Aren't there various varieties of "RoundUp" -- for different weeds?
We don't have poison ivy, but we have poison sumac, and a weedkiller
specifically labeled as being for poison ivy, oak, sumac, etc. (don't
recall the brand or name) leaves our poison sumac looking very ill after
only a couple of hours.
Use the correct product for the job at hand.
I tried and tried and got no where with regular Roundup.
I applied it directly on the leaves which showed some distress but the
plant kept on growing.
So, I just checked Home Depot and found Roundup for Poison Ivy.
and Ortho for Poison Ivy. I bought the Ortho brand.
It's a little early to be sure, but I think it's working.
So, I can report regular Roundup doesn't work.
I expect something Poison Ivy specific has a better chance.
I had rampant poison ivy in my yard when I bought the house. I
physically pulled most of it out and treated the rest with a brush
killer (it might have been a Roundup brand product.) I seem to recall
trying regular Roundup but it wasn't very effective. The brush killer
worked very quickly, like within a day.
P.S. - I haven't seen any more poison ivy back there for many years.
However, I saw a couple of sprigs poking up this summer. I killed them,
but it reminds me that the stuff may never totally go away.
Most retail versions of Roundup are too dilute to effectively control
brushy and woody plants. You need a minimum 41% concentrate of Roundup
to handle them, and that gets expensive. Another highly effective
herbicide for woody plants including poison ivy is triclopyr. Read
your labels and buy the strongest concentration you can find.
If you got a 2% solution on the leaves and it was/is actively growing,
glyphosate should work but by itself it isn't as effective as some other
The guy talking about using concentrate is mostly wrong, btw...the
concentrates are all intended to be diluted before use; the only part he
got right is "read the label".
I've been using regular Roundup on poison ivy for years. In my yard and surrounding area (I like to keep a buffer zone) it works fine.
I mix mine from an old bottle of concentrate that's been in the shed since I got the house. I don't make it super strong, just the normal mix.
On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 12:38:55 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
I don't know about 2%, I typically mix it at about 4% and it kills
poison ivy. Since Pete is having a problem, I'd mix it at 4%+.
If you read the directions, to kill tougher weeds, they call for
higher concentrations, up to about 6% I think.
If you're using the stuff, you can get the ~48% concentrate for about
$65 for a 2.5 gallon jug. That's orders of magnitude better than
buying it pre-mixed or even the concentrate at HD, etc. That's for
the generic glyphosate with a sticking additive included.
There are also brush killers that are more effective against that
type of stuff too.
I have used regular Roundup and some generic roundup with an added chemical
or two that work well. I think the wetting or sticking additive is
important to the poison ivy. Without it the chemicals tend to run off the
leaves. The chemicals are absorbed by the leaves mainly so spray them and
not the ground around the plants.
YOu need to look at the concentration on the jug. Many of them are made to
be deluted and often the lesser concentrations will cost more to make a
given ammount of than the higher concentrations.
years ago i had a bad poision ivy problem, poision ivy killer just made it wilt for a few days, same with roundup, just wilted then it came back stronger than ever.
so at the suggestion of someonehere i mixed roundup 50 / 50withpoision ivy killer.
i amost felt bad for the poision ivy, they just rolled up and died, i felt like a mass murderer...
do note mixing breaks some federal law, but going to my doc for pision ivy is worse.
the chemicals are absorbed thru the leafs.
so dont trim or pull the plants just spray the leafs for max kill.
and DONT BURN THE DEAD BRUSH! you can get poision ivy in your lungs..
My country friends use Crossbow for poison oak here in Western Oregon, I
would imagine it would also work for poison ivy. Looking at the label
it appears to be a mix of triclopyr and 2,4-D.
Roundup alone is not terribly effective on poison ivy because of the
oiliness of the leaves. You need a good surfactant mixed with the
roundup. Some people use a bit of dish soap in the mix - some a few
tablespoons of diesel fuel. I know the diesel fuel works. Generally
knocks it back pretty good in about 3 or 4 days.
On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 9:06:41 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
xt morning, its amazingly effective
I haven't tried that mix, but, do you really want it dying by next morning?
If it's really toxic it kills the leaves before it gets into the system.
I want it absorbed by the leaves, and spread to kill the whole plant, and
usually that takes a bit more time.
On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 8:21:29 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
next morning, its amazingly effective
g? If it's really toxic it kills the leaves before it gets into the system
. I want it absorbed by the leaves, and spread to kill the whole plant, an
d usually that takes a bit more time.
trust me 50/50 roundup/ poision ivy killer really works when nothing else d
I even called a lanscaper who said the killing stuff consumers can buy does
nt work. but the pros can use this.
he wanted to kill everything on that hillside, which would of been ok, exce
pt my mom planted some of it a couple years before she died, so i like keep
ing those around...
On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 9:02:48 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
e next morning, its amazingly effective
ing? If it's really toxic it kills the leaves before it gets into the syst
em. I want it absorbed by the leaves, and spread to kill the whole plant,
and usually that takes a bit more time.
esnt work. but the pros can use this.
cept my mom planted some of it a couple years before she died, so i like ke
eping those around...
the leaves were rolling up the next morning and within a few days the plant
s were totally dead.
i left the remains because i react a lot to poision ivy, and need steroids
which make me very ill.
no poision ivy grew back, although i did notice one plant i missed, i murde
red it too:)
just try it IT WORKS!:)
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.