lightning strike damage

while I remember, I said I'd post these previously.

whisky-dave

any piccys of the point at which the lightning made contact? (I presume the TV aerial?)

Reply to
SH

well I wasn't getting on the roof !, but no the phono connector on the aerial lead blew off and the pin had embedded itself in the carpet leaving a burn mark. photos 2&3 According to 6 or so neighbours/ virginmedia engineers the lightning struck the outside cable box serving a few houses and there was a few virginmedia guys outside replacing customer TiVos, didn't seem to affect the telephone system or the mains CU unit box.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Hmmmm as I understood it, the VM cabinets are on the pavements, You'd think teh lighting strike would be more likely to strike a TV aerial or Satellite dish than a VM roadside cabinet?

My internet is coincidentally fibre to the hope product so I have some "insulation" should the telecoms structure gets hit. (we use internet for TV viewing like netwflix, disney, iplayer ITV hub etc)

Reply to
SH

Is that BT's new infrastructure investment policy?

Reply to
Andy Burns

LOL

I meant home! this is with Vodafone

Reply to
SH

According to the engineers it hit the VM cabinet which is why the TiVo boxes needed replaying. Maybe it went through the earth and up through the aerial as lightning sometimes goes up and not always down. This could explain why the fuse in the TV plug vapourised . The TV aerial still worked after the event although the copper sheath was discloured and a little brittle.

Not sure if mine is cable or fibre the connector to the TiVo box has a central copper conductor. internet VM I get 200Mb down 20Mb up.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Is that all? I get 500 Mb down and 500 Mb up..... :-)

I was too tight to pay for 900 Mb down and 900 MB up...... :-)

Reply to
SH

No, not the case. I've seen examples where the lightning has hit the road and made a crater, and the surrounding houses have EMP damage ? burnt cables etc ? but no signs of an actual strike.

I've also seen burnt out electrics on a boat on the Broads when the lightning had struck the water nearby.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

So the 18dB attenuator has become an 118dB one. Stop complaining.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

In my experience the area is often larger than just the bit which is conductive, so it might be hard to pin point. Certainly the factory that got struck in the 80s I mentioned before had several parts of its roof glazing missing completely, but there were no obvious high points to strike, it seemed totally random. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa