Is 14V cordless sds drill ok for diy?

I see that some cordless sds drills have massive 24V/36V, which makes me wonder how a 14V model would cope with drilling holes through walls

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Depends on the size of the hole and the sharpness of the bit.

I've seen big Hilti cordless struggle getting a satellite cable through a wall when my £50 Screwfie Special breezed through.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

It would initially be a hole big enough to get a couple of LAN cables through. The quality of the bit factor I do understand. I currently have a Lidl, non SDS, cordless drill and it really doesnt like to struggle. It's also quite hard to get it to keep a grip on the bits too.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Hatton garden sized holes or red rawl plug sized holes?

I have a couple of 10.2/12v drills, but I generally use m just for pilot holes, or countersinking, or for screwdriving. I'd pick 18V hammer drill or SDS for anything heavier, 14V might not be too far behind 18V though.

makita now have an 80V battery SDS.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I was thinking that if a manufacturer like Makita made 14v SDS drills, there would be quite a good chance that they'd work to a reasonable SDS level, if there is such a level.

Maybe in time these will be considered puny too.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I've got a Makita 18V SDS drill and it's very good - although I've only used it for drilling 6.5mm holes in very hard brick and concrete, which it does well.

Reply to
Murmansk

They did (discontinued?) make an 14.4V SDS model # BHR162

Reply to
Andy Burns

Very clearly put. But not encouraging in terms of the viability of the

14v version.
Reply to
Mike Halmarack

That's the one I saw on eBay.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Are you sure that's not a misheard 18v one?

Reply to
Chris Green

What we're concerned about here is the power delivered. P=V^2/R and so the power increases with the square of the voltage. However what isn't discussed is decreases in the resistance which will also contribute. An improved battery with a lower internal resistance can deliver more power, even at the same voltage. This is why a lithium ion drill is better than a NiMH of the same voltage - the NiMH has a higher resistance and so can't deliver as much current.

However it's hard to beat a square law, so I would be looking at trying to get the higher voltage.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

No, 2x 40V XGT batteries

Andy Burns

I've been able to understand the widely held assumption that there's a direct relationship between the voltage of a tool and its power output.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I've never been able to understand the widely held assumption that there's a direct relationship between the voltage of a tool and its power output.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Like for like, I'd say it's cheaper to make a higher voltage drill. Stock cell sizes and thinner cables.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The 12 volt Milwaukee SDS is excellent. I've had one at work, and it compares well with the 18 volt version which we also have, but the battery life is less, obviously.

Reply to
Alan

Generally they use the same size cells whatever the voltage so, twice the voltage is twice the power given the same current capability. I agree though that, in principle, it's not true that more volts means more power.

Reply to
Chris Green

One attractive feature of the Makita 14V sds drill for me, is that I already have 2 14V batteries and charger.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

It amazes me that people do not understand that power - volts *times* amps and with the availability of high capacity LIPO cells the actual voltage is supremely irrelevant

14.4V is 12 nickel cells - 18v is 15.. in reality a decent cordless will be 4 cells LIPO or about 14.8v, or maybe 5 cells at 17.1v It really makes no f****ng difference.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It would if a motor was a resistor. Since it isn't you are talking total crap

More total crap

And a final piece of total crap just to get the bullseye

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher