OT. Ford Lightning. Battery F150

They may in the future. There are also many charging stations at rest stops now. Some restaurants have them so you can stop for a snack and get a charge. More charging stations are popping up every day.

FACT: My daughter had an EV as a loaner. She just plugged it in to a household outlet. No upgrade. Yes, it takes longer than a high voltage but not impossible.

Yes, so instead of fighting the inevitable look for solutions.

Above you said plugging in to charge is different than a block heater. That is being closed minded and you do no know that as fact that it cannot be done.

They are not talking points but negativity. They are all problems that can and will be overcome. If you were truly looking at reality you would be facing the problems head on and solving them.

Reality is, EVs are coming faster and faster and the solutions are at hand. None of the objections are not able to be overcome. The cost is coming down.

Saw something today that would help. If you have a charger at home you can let others use it and make money. Did not see the details but your charger would be listed on an app so someone passing through could get some juice. Perfect for that 200 mile trip to see your brother if there is one close by.

No, it is not as simple as topping at a gas station but is is one of many solutions. You have to WANT to see them.

Reminds me of a meeting at work some years ago and two people were going back and forth about a situation. The boss stopped them and said I want you to bring me solutions, not problems. Changed attitude on how to make things work.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There are in fact hundreds of them and they are unintelligible to those of other tribes.

Wrong, its only used for kangaroos, not dogs, cats, horses, sheep, pigs etc etc etc.

<reams of your trollshit flushed where it belongs>
Reply to
Joey

On Sun, 23 May 2021 10:17:42 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

Or Obamas

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Mon, 24 May 2021 14:37:16 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

Do you think minimum wage nursing home employees will have EVs?

"Stopping for a snack & get a charge" How far will this take you? What's the mileage for say a 20 minute charge?

So the customers are subsidizing the EV users (again).

What is many? Who pays to install, maintain them?

Time is money, especially in ag. So you charge up the truck but the combine and tractor sit because they ran out of juice.

Time is money. Your daughter may not be typical user. What is a typical user of an EV?

I repeat: The mandates are for the NEAR future.

I'm not fighting the inevitable. I'm trying to discuss what you want. The gov't MANDATING the way you think, travel and analyze complex problems.

You think people are closed minded because they don't agree with you. People are trying to live day to day. Paycheck to paycheck. When the subsidies stop do you think the average Joe is going to say: Yeah, I'll spend an extra 10k because that will be good for the earth?

Your answer?

So the word of the day, since I don't agree with you is I'm closed minded?

See above.

ibid

So how do I get to the nursing home? Walk a couple miles, Uber, what?

I don't have to want anything. Maybe I like life the way it is. Your WANTS are different then mine but you won't open your mind to that.

So now you are admitting you are the BOSS. Your way or the highway. You have no use for any else's viewpoints. There are plenty of people working on solutions; take this posts subject for example. All the vehicle manufacturers are working on the solutions. The CONSUMER will determine who wins the prize. Not YOU & you better get used to it. What amount of auto emissions contribute to global warming - in the USA? Versus the world?

What if the cure is worse than the disease? What if these future batteries cause sufarcus poisoning? All the EVs have them. What do you do then. Mandate them out of existence, with no solutions.

Why do you not set your sights on China? They are the worlds biggest polluters, they use slave labor, they will ship their (supposedly compliant) crap over here without restriction. That will would help your immediate issues and allow time to develop longer term solutions. Why not attack the problem at it's source?

I don't have any solutions, I don't think you or anybody here has any solution. There are plenty of people working on it that are smarter and it's in their field of expertise, but the way I see it MANDATES are not one of them.

Again, later.

Reply to
Tekkie©

It makes sense to generate electricity where it's to be used, unless it can't be of course.

Reply to
krw

Just a sockpuppet. Who knows what sex, if any, it is.

Reply to
krw

Setting aside the losses transmission lines are almost as popular as generating plants. Too bad Tesla's scheme didn't work out.

There are some far field technologies but they have limited range and tend to be detrimental to humans or other furry things that wander into the beam.

I worked for a company that made dielectric heaters for the plastics industry. Our quick and dirty test for a leaky RF cavity consisted of a fluorescent tube taped to a broomstick. Transmitting enough power to make it light up was not a good thing.

Reply to
rbowman

No. but the doctors, nurses, therapists and visitors may. Remains to be seen.

OK. your lack of knowledge is showing. There are a few commercial enterprises putting them in and they charge the customer to use them and they make a profit. Works like gas stations but they sell electric instead of gas. Some have plans for discounts.

How may electric combines are out there? That is a long way off so there is time for a solution if ever needed.

I know of one owner that had two charging stations installed in his garage. Many owners make that investment. Every situation is different but so far, many Tesla owners are high income and the cost of a charging station is not a big deal. Like everything else, over time price drops with volume.

Attacking? No, you don't want to see solutions, you just want to throw up obstacles. You are already bringing up combines on farms when that is not even an issue but you choose to add it in. Maybe in 10 or 30 years.

See above where your lack of knowledge about what is taking place. You are not asking questions, just showing how difficult it is.

See above

I like life the way it is too. Have you ever looked at the changes over the past 10,000 years? It is not going to be the same, like it or not. You can look at the future and see how you have to change or you can wait until it is too late and be shocked. Adapt or die.

WTF???? I never said I was the boss. Why are you making shit up?

Right, a lot of stuff to sort out. Do you do nothing? I'm sure there will be different generations as we progress. Look, they even make airplanes with just one wing now.

So do nothing for us? What do we do when oil runs out? Are you really that short sighted?

Right, they are working on it in a POSITITVE way but you only see problems and don't want to try to change things. You and I cannot change the mandates ut we can do things to make them work better for us. Or we can just bitch about it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Good grief. Tesla was a loon. Positively insane at the end of his life.

No, it's not too bad. Think about being between the transmitter and receiver, not to mention the zero efficiency. Physics hasn't changed.

And zero efficiency.

A tiny Tesla coil will do that. It's still zero power and efficiency.

Reply to
krw

I wonder if battery swaps, of some sort, will ever be part of the EV solution. My goal would be to reduce the charging time to roughly equal the time it currently takes to fill a gas tank rather than hanging around at the charging station for hours and hours. I don't think current EVs are designed with quick battery swaps in mind, for multiple reasons, but it could be nice at some point.

<snip>
Reply to
Jim Joyce

I've though that too. I did see some car that was developed to do that but you had so swap only that brand, not a universal so very limited.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's why the idea of orbiting solar farms transmitting power to an earth station via microwave or lasers will remain science fiction.

Reply to
rbowman

The first thing they would need to do is have a world wide battery standard and I don't see that any time soon. The battery in an F-150 is not going to be the same as one in a Focus and that is just one manufacturer. Would Tesla and Toyota use that same battery too?

Reply to
gfretwell

Batteries are evolving and the housings are even becoming part of the chassis structure. Even with the same car it would be difficult.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not likely. People aren't going to want to trade a new battery for something unknown. They're way too expensive to have the vehicle come without a battery and pay a deposit for one at the electricity store.

Reply to
krw

Very similar, just at a different part of the EM spectrum.

Reply to
krw

On Mon, 24 May 2021 21:58:32 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

You and I CAN change the mandates. The mandates are made to cater to a specific class of people - such as yourself - to favor for support and backing. These mandates have no science behind them, no freethinking other than the present.

I don't understand the logic of your posts. When you first started this thread you were stating that we had to act now and quoted mandates. I stated I didn't think mandates would work. You insisted we had to act now. I tried to expand that mandates are the problem and you brought the future in. I added agriculture because that is local to me and wanted your solution to the abolition of gasoline.

Ed, what you espouse is an example of closed minded reasoning. I am not being negative; I am calling out the opposite views as I see them. For every positive there is a negative.

Again, what is your solution regarding China? Why not mandate they stop polluting? Why not mandate that all travel must be by rail? Why not mandate the airplanes be grounded?

Again, my position, mandates do NOT work, business and economics will solve the problems you espouse.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Mon, 24 May 2021 23:55:10 -0500, Jim Joyce posted for all of us to digest...

Yes, that would be a plus. You are correct in that quick swaps are not designed in. I believe for crash protection and fires. IDK Might be a future business opportunity.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Tue, 25 May 2021 12:27:47 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com posted for all of us to digest...

There are already rebuilt batteries for Prius and other brands that were early adopters.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Mon, 24 May 2021 19:47:44 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Sterility guaranteed!

Reply to
Tekkie©