OT. Ford Lightning. Battery F150

It was also prompted by a tax incentive to buy a vehicle greater than

3 tons. That is gone but the fad lives on.
Reply to
gfretwell

Unfortunately commutes are actually getting longer

Covid may shade that a little since working from home became more common but that pendulum has swung a number of times in the last quarter century as stay at home workers start getting less productive and management opinions flip flop. We were starting a work from home initiative in 1996 went I retired. It lasted a few years. Then they pulled people back in.

Reply to
gfretwell

What is the range then?

Reply to
gfretwell

From the Verge article "a 120-volt outlet will trickle 3 miles per hour into the battery",

OK so that's great if you and your BIL can stand each other for 3 days (67 hours) and you don't need your car when you are there.

I suppose this may also be why the 3 Teslas I saw on Alligator Alley yesterday were doing around 60 instead of the 80-85 everyone else was doing.

Just any handy 120v outlet is also not going to do. These things need a dedicated circuit and until the code changed your garage was likely to be picked up on a bathroom or even a general lighting circuit.

Reply to
gfretwell

We never get ice but a 130 MPH wind can bring down a lot of limbs, flinging them quite a ways and a gust of 150 can bring down some old poles.

Reply to
gfretwell

Maybe you are on to something. Put all of the homeless and illegals on bicycle generators.

Reply to
gfretwell

It's done at Niagara falls, too, but there are damned few places in the US where such a thing is possible.

Reply to
krw

The only reason CA can do that much is they're using the rest of the SW to stabilize the grid. Much about 10-15% and the grid will be unstable.

It's going to take a *LOT* of them to generate that kind of power.

BTW, TANSTAAFL. You have to feed people too, and that's rather inefficient.

Reply to
krw

The California Air Resources Board just passed a rule requiring EVs account for 90% of ride sharing miles by 2030.

So much for the lower income people picking up a few extra dollars with their existing buggys.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Pumped storage doesn't work well in Iowa... They're big into wind farms but I don't if they have any way to handle surplus power other than selling it to Wisconsin.

Reply to
rbowman

I was thinking more along the lines of transportation but generation would be good too. 'Soylent Green' covered both rather nicely.

Reply to
rbowman

Did the Turkey Point expansion ever happen? Gotta keep the lights on at Dizzy World.

Reply to
rbowman

Unless greatly improved transmission lines are included in the mix they better be someplace close to the backyard. iirc at least on the east coast all nuclear plants were within 75 miles of the metropolitan center they primarily served.

Reply to
rbowman

There was to be two plants but I don't think they are started. Some local politicians objected.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They are working on it. Last trip up I95 I saw lots of charging stations.

Ed Pawlowski

rbowman snipped-for-privacy@montana.com wrote

No need, the losses in the state arent that great.

Not because of losses, and 75 miles isnt the backyard anyway.

Reply to
Joey

California wants to put ridesharing (all gig jobs) out of business. This is just another means to that end. A range of a few hundred miles per day puts a real crimp in a driver's income.

What do Democrats car about lower income people?

Reply to
krw

Either way, you have to feed people doing work. A kCal is a kCal. Feeding people for energy is a loser any way you look at it.

Reply to
krw

It doesn't take long to get the power back if you just have one big problem but if you have 5000 small problems it takes a while when one of them is on your street. It was 9 days for us after Irma.

Reply to
gfretwell

Color me surprised.

The Martha's Vineyard crew must have really pissed in Biden's Wheaties.

Reply to
rbowman