OT Car insurance rise?

You've just explained why metric is a good idea. It's also bad to have both. In the UK, almost every socket set has metric and imperial, yet a car would have to be about 40 years old to need the imperial ones. So sockets sets cost twice what they need to.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Because insurance companies are so f****ng thick they insure a 1098 as a 1000 instead of an 1100.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You shrunk?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That sounds like more sensible insurance than the UK. My old Rover was hit. The Rover was valued at £700. They quoted the cost to replace the dented doors with brand new ones, which came to over £700, so they just gave me £700. I got 2nd hand doors for £70 and pocketed the £630.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Malka Older wrote a trilogy called the Centenal Cycle. A Centenal is an autonomous grouping of 100,000 people that agree on how things should be. An adjacent centenal might have a completely different outlook. You could freely pass through a centenal as long as you honored the local rules or lack of. I thought it was a great idea. Of course there are always snakes in paradise.

rbowman

Going to Canada used to seem like a bargain when they were using the Imperial gallon. Now they use liters, which seems like a fit measurement for a bottle of beer. By the time I convert from liters to gallons and their dollar, which is worth .79 cents, I still think I'm getting screwed.

Reply to
rbowman

I haven't seen that yet. Usually the tree decorations are skulls of various animals.

Reply to
rbowman

More like

I have a feeling you need to bolt the pre-drilled base to something rather large. If you're not familiar with Harbor Freight it's stock is mostly cheap Chinese shit. Some of it works, at least for light duty. Other stuff requires user repair before use.

Reply to
rbowman

I had an '82 Firebird which fascinated my lead girl's kid. It didn't have all the goodies though. I'd never seen the show and didn't understand the attraction until she explained.

Reply to
rbowman

When I was driving I'd never, never try to intimidate someone like that. In reality I found most of them are oblivious to a 13' 6" high, 65' long, 75,000 pound 18 wheeler 3' off their rear bumper. If they ever did look in the mirror all they would see was

They are also deaf so the air horn doesn't help.

Reply to
rbowman

I like my Jap car and bikes. Metric, end of story. The Ford pickup and Harley go metric in the oddest places.

Reply to
rbowman

Happens when you get old and are high mileage with a lot of wear and tear.

Reply to
rbowman

But FA use in the wet!

Reply to
alan_m

Albeit it doesn't say how many tyres or brands:-

This doesn't contradict my statement at all. At best it says that tyres have grip at 1.6mm tread depth but not how much less than a tyres with a

6mm tread. While one company claims 1.6mm to be "safe" the article rightly says that not all tyres are made equal.

How many people fit budget no-name tyres rather than well known branded tyres that actually publish what the tyres performance is under all wear conditions?

Reply to
alan_m

And I'm sure that a certain person on this group will be unable to brake in time for the speed camera when doing 100mph on his bald and under inflated tyres :)

Reply to
alan_m

Possibly the closest we have is Machine Mart who sell at 3x your prices

112 GBP = $149.7

Machine Mart is not recommended as they don't want to return cash when a faulty item is returned, instead they will try and give a time limited credit note.

Reply to
alan_m

Seems a lot of trouble for what is a relative easy fix in the first place.

You should also watch the film "The World's Fastest Indian" for tips on how to fix a completely knackered tyre, and other bodges :)

The film is about setting a 200mph land speed record on a 1920s Indian motorcycle.

Reply to
alan_m

The opening times are published. My local tip is on the borders of a neighbouring council territory and for many years there has been man at the gate wanting to see proof of your address (photo driving licence, rates bill - or what ever they call the local tax these days, etc). People from the neighbouring council area are turned away. The man on the gate is still there but will not allow you into the facility until one of the now limited parking spaces becomes free.

In practice during busy times one space per 60 seconds, or less, becomes free. On my last couple trips it was straight in with no waiting.

The blocked off parking spaces ensure that cars are parked at least 2 metres away from and adjacent car.

The majority of waste is put into those large skips where you have to climb some steps to a platform to reach the top. There are (Covid) signs saying only one person at a time can be on the steps/platform for each skip. In my experience most people have been wearing masks and ignore these signs.

Much the same here. The same arrangements were put in place for the first lockdown and haven't changed.

My local tip is on an industrial estate with a one way road allowing space for queueing and for other vehicles to get past. The only signs are those put up by the business owners asking people queueing not to block the access to their buildings.

Although Covid has increased the queuing time it was not unusual in pre-covid times for a 20 minute wait at busy times. Sunday morning was definitely the time to avoid, oh, and on Thursday when it is closed :) I think the other tip I could use and is slightly more distant is closed on a different mid week day.

See the queue here http://87.74.67.81/sv/sv.html#home

Reply to
alan_m

The problem with travelling so slowly on slip road to join a UK motorway is that you are more likely to be trying to get into the gaps between lorries that on the motorway doing 60 mph.

Reply to
alan_m

Possibly the point being made is that if your car had been economical to repair they would only have paid to have the replacement door painted rather than the whole car and not repaired the rust on an adjacent door. The repair will have still used a new door (skin).

Possible no different to what happens with insurance in other countries.

Reply to
alan_m